Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Told ya he was comin'!

Here's GLITTER BIT!

Thumbnail by laurief
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

that is so cute! wonderful little guy!

deb

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Nice Laurie, did this bloom inside or is it one you have been putting outside for a while?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

This and my other potted irises will remain inside in sunny windows for at least another month before I start putting them outside. I did take this one outside just long enough today to photograph it under natural light, but now it's warm and cozy in my window again.

Laurie

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks Laurie, That sounds like a good idea!
Do you cover your iris for the winter?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

No, I don't cover my irises in the winter, though I expect I'd have fewer losses if I did. We don't have reliable snow cover here in the upper Midwest like you do there on the East Coast. In years with light snowfall, I tend to have a lot of iris losses (losing primarily modern TBs - the littleuns are a whole lot tougher). I just don't care to grow wimpy plants that need to be mulched over winter. If they can't hack it here without cover, goodbye and good riddance.

Laurie

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

I know what you mean! I just hope they're hardy!
Like you, it is only the modern TB that don't seem to like it here. The older ones do just fine! That's okay, I like the oldies!!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I wish it was *only* the modern TBs that didn't like it in my garden. Unfortunately, I have lost all classes and types of irises here, but the vast majority of the losses are modern TBs. That's why I no longer purchase modern TBs. I will occasionally trade for them or accept them as gifts, but I won't spend actual money on them. I'd rather invest in the surer bet of the smaller beardeds, historics, and beardless irises that are much better suited to my growing conditions and climate.

Laurie

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Laurie-- HE'S GORGEOUS!!!!! I love the contrast of the little blue beards. Good job!

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh Laurie, What a darling cutie he is.
Good job.

also thanks 'cause you just answered a question I had of what to do with my new Wanda dwarf beardeds
now that they have bloomed on the window sill inside the house.
I will do as you do.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh cool! Thanks for posting that pic laurie! Ours is growing inside too. Something gorgeous to look forward to!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

No Dwarf blooms here yet. :( Oh well, all the ones outside in my garden look terrific. I should have some blooms to brag on in a couple of weeks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.