Miltonopsis? ID assistance requested

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

This was a rat-eaten specimen given to me by my local retail nurseryman. It was in my greenhouse no more than two weeks and put on this spike. I am told I'm giving it too much light so as soon as these flowers are spent I'll shift it to an area of the greenhouse with a little more shade. I like the white flowers, and am sure it's a rather common hybrid, but no tag, no name given. I would certainly like to know the name of it if someone knows it. Miltonopsis mysteriosa sounds good, but a true name would be more interesting.

Thanks for any help.

Don

Thumbnail by drdon
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Miltoniopsis rattusii var. alba ??

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

With hybrids, it is really difficult to be certain of the name as so many can look the same. However, most white Miltoniopsis have red or pink at the base of the lip, not just pure yellow. The only hybrid I could find that describes the flowers are white with yellow at the base of the lip is 'Lady Snow'. It is a popular hybrid and has been used a lot in recent white hybrids. Can't say for sure if yours is 'Lady Snow' but it is probably close enough that no one would be able to say it wasn't that hybrid!

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Todd, RUK,

Thank you very much. If not for the ID, thanks for teaching me its Miltoniopsis not Miltonopsis. As with most things in life spelling counts. As a species guy, I like the idea that RUK called out a species. I think now I'll take a better photo and resubmit.

Thumbnail by drdon
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

drdon,
sorry I couldn't resist.... I was kidding... your plant had been chewed by Rattus norvegicus...
In any case, it is very pretty! Is it scented? That might help in identification also.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

rotf, RUK

Yes indeedius, it was chewed by that buck-toothed terror of plants. No scent during the day. I'll check tonight. Although it is suffering from a bit of sunburn in its current location it is really putting out a a ton of roots and has the beginnings of a new growth.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.