crimson queen jap maple

Winchester, TN(Zone 7b)

hey does anyone know if these will do allright with morning sun only about 5 hours only max

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I think the primary effect you'd notice would be that it's not quite as brilliant red as in full sun. But since my only experience is with one in full sun, you better wait for more expert advice.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

It all depends on where you live. Here, just a little morning sun is ok because by 9 a.m. in summertime we are hitting 95 degrees or so! One of the things you can do is make sure they have VERY acidic soil, I use straight Azalea-Camellia soil right from the bag. It will need some sun to keep the red color, with too much shade it will go green. I'm with Mick, let's see what others have to say....
K

Winchester, TN(Zone 7b)

sounds good its only been in the ground for a couple weeks not even budding good yet so i can relocate any ideas on small trees that will take the shade

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Most of the Japanese Maples actually prefer more shady locations and burn with too much sun. You just happened to pick one whose color is sun dependent with the Crimson Queen. In addition to the Japanese maples, I'd say any of the understory trees would also fit your spot - dogwood, paperbark maple, redbud.

Winchester, TN(Zone 7b)

alright sounds like i got some diggin to do thanks for the info

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Be careful when you dig around the roots of JMaples. They don't like their roots disturbed overmuch!

Winchester, TN(Zone 7b)

k thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.