Hibiscus problem 1

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

This is my first attempt to over-winter my 2 hibiscus. One has done way better than I hoped for, but the other is really sad looking.

I have these little black flies (fungus gnats?) that the sticky tapes have caught lots of, but I don't know if that's the problem because why weren't both plants affected?

Here's the problem plant. Will post again with the good plant.

BTW, can I post 2 pictures?

Joan

Thumbnail by Joan6aON
Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

The growth tips on this one look really good. I wouldn't panic. If there is any way possible, get it into some sun. I once drove a car full of winter plants so they could have sun without freezing. Don't let it burn of course. When does the weather shape up for you? These guys can be put out and brought in as the temperature allows. I had mine out during the day this week with temps in the 50's and 60's, then back in at night.

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

To sylvi74, We have a while to go yet before the weather will be mild enough for the hibiscus to go outside. I can probably put it out some time this month in the shelter of my balcony.

What I don't understand is that over the winter this plant has been troubled, then it's OK for a while, then it gets troubled again.

Joan

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Hmm, does there seem to be a pattern? Every time you do ___ the plant does ___ ? I assume you are treating both plants the same. Is one closer to a window, register, stove, etc that could be giving it trouble? What exactly is it doing? Dropping leaves, wilting?

"I once drove a car full of winter plants so they could have sun without freezing."

Now there's somebody who truly loves their plants!!!

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

sylvi74, They were re-potted at different times so the soil mixture might be different.

Will transplant the scraggly one into a lighter soil.

Joan

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I don't see them, but check for spider mites and white flies too. White flies sit on the backs of the leaves are aren't noticed unless the plant is disturbed. Spider mites are a problem for a host of plants.

PNW, WA(Zone 8a)

Joan I have one that looks just like this and Brugie's right it had spider mites. I've been fighting them all winter. Nasty little buggers.

Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.