Our Baby MTBS-Did they make it?

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Okay--the other thread was a getting a bit long, so I thought I'd move the party. Feels like a big experiment--sharing these free iris & watching them take hold all over the nation.

We've had lovely weather the past few days and I've been having a great time uncovering and trimming all my iris. I can't wait to move my baby Minature Tall Beardeds outside. Valiant Warrior seems to be the only one still fighting me. Did anyone get it to grow?

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't have the vw.. and I am very curious about red heart as well... I would like to try them and see if they do well in Missouri... perhaps when everyone gets theirs going well, we can all do some trading... lol..

My Chanted, Fad, and Cornhuskers are doing great ... but the Chickee has no green showing yet... I am hoping it survives! We are having a couple of days in the high 60's so I put them outside to get some rays... They are doing well with it so far... I was thinking I may go ahead and put them in the ground... but I know the ground is not warmed up yet... do you think they will be alright?

Wanda, how satisfying it must be for you... to watch as your lil plants are shared and grown all over the place... very cool... Thank you again for sharing with us! I can't wait to see blooms...

Starr, if they have much growth on them, you will need to harden them off slowly or the outside will be a shock to their systems. The MTBS seem to be reluctant about growing inside...

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

OH! Thanks for letting me know... Here I go to get them back inside...

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

One of my Vallant Warrior is doing fine the other is still asleep. Like you said Wanda the roots look good, so I'm just a waiting!

Thumbnail by hooked
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Hooked! Your lil guys look so good... They sure add some color to the white background!! how much snow do y'all have?

Farmington, ME(Zone 4b)

Thanks,
Snow is melting fast! Still have snow banks, where it was plowed and we are starting to see patches of ground. It's in the 40's again today. I'm sure we aren't finished with snow yet. One year we were in FL at the end of April and they had a blizzard back here!
My iris bed at the back corner of the house is all bare! I'm not sure that is a good thing. Last year I moved lots of my iris to a bed near the house, I hope it wasn't a mistake! Temp. this morning was 24. Our last killing frost is usually the end of May.
Bet you are already enjoying those nice warm temps? Sounds like we are in for big rain Friday night into Sat.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Our temps were in the high 60's yesterday, and expect more the same today... It is just beautiful! I enjoy getting out in the sun on a breezy spring day...

Soon you will have spring blooming, too!

Hooked--I'm glad your iris are doing well. Laurie says to move them outside for an hour first day & increase it by one hour each day so they get used to real weather. Wish that would work for me instead these 20 degree variations each day .

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Yes, Wanda, but I didn't even begin the outdoor acclimation process until after our last frost date had already passed!

Laurie

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I've had mine outside 4 times over the last week. How long until you consider them hardened off?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I figured when mine were staying out in the sun for 6 consecutive hrs, they were probably ready to stay out. But again I must state that I would NOT put potted irises outside until all danger of frost is passed.

Laurie

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

yessum!

And we all know the dreaded Jack Frost will not rest yet this Spring....

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Wanda mine are coming along really well, haven't bloomed yet but have others in the dwarf s that a neighbor gave me that are blooming already so am still hoping for a bloom this year. Got to try and find out what kind they are yet, but sure pretty.And Thanks Again!!
Carolyn

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Wanda... The Cornhusker woke up and they about an inch and a half tall. They so cute! Seeing itty bitty fans. Thanks again! Enjoying them. : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.