Feeding Daturas?

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

When, what and how often should I start feeding my datura seedlings? They have the misfortune of having germinated for somebody who knows nothing about them except that they're beautiful. My 4 seedlings are ready to be potted up and I was going to use MG Moisture Control formula. Is it too early for that since it does have some MG in it? Am I wrong to expect that they're heavy feeders with all the blooms they produce?
Thanks for your help.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I only had two last summer both in pots, and I surely am not an expert but....

I just treated them like all my other plants in regard to feeding, once a week with Miracle Grow. They require a lot of water if they are in pots, usually I was reminded when I saw they were on the verge of wilting.

Good Luck and we'll all learn together.

Judy

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Judy.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I'm glad someone started this thread. I have heard (back when Brugs & Dats were in the same forum) that Daturas did not require the same heavy feeding that Brugs do. I wasn't sure if that meant not to fertilize at all, or to just fertilize "some".

I make a fertilizer for most of my plants that has: Miracle Grow, Super Thrive & Kelp extract. I put a tablespoon of MG, 1/4 tsp super thrive, and 1 tablespoon Kelp extract to one gallon of water. I am going to try this on my daturas, maybe once every couple of weeks and see how it goes. In between then, lotza water, as all but two of mine will be in pots.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

In the rose forum, there's a lot of excitement about alfalfa tea as not only a rose food, but also an all-purpose food/tonic. Since I have about 50 roses to use try it on, I was thinking I'll try it on the daturas, too. Any thoughts?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I've heard some of the Brug growers saying they had success with the alfalfa tea as well - or was it alfalfa pellets?

Do you now how to make this tea?

I have heard that you don't want to "over feed" Daturas. This is my first year with successful germination for Daturas, and I certainly don't want to mess it up!

For some reason, every time I try to germinate Daturas, this green moss starts growing on top of the cells. I rake it off with a fork. This doesn't happen to my other flats of seedlings - just the Dats. Does anyone know why this is?

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Here's the link to the rose forum discussion with some recipes.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/491615/

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I suppose it all depends upon how rich your soil is and if you are planting in pots or in the ground.

MaVieRose doesn't - in ground
(edited - 4/1 received message I was wrong changed to "doesn't")

Gretchen doesn't - in ground & pots
( in the pots didn't do as well as those in the ground)

I fed mine Miracle gro. - pots

If they don't bloom well fed, if they do don't, would be my answer.

Like everything else, whatever works best for you. Try feeding some and not feeding the others.

Good Luck!!!

Judy

This message was edited Apr 2, 2005 3:02 AM

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Dats are ditch weeds and thrive on sandy gravel banks. I had my first dat plants last year and they did fantastic.

All my garden grounds have soil conditioners applied so that is the only thing my dautra was given.

While visiting the Mitchell Park Conservatory in Milwaukee I was surprised to see datura presented in the Desert Dome.

This is one of my plants that was close to 6' tall. I could hide under it ... lol

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

This was a posting in the Brug Forum By Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
Zone 6a
Apr 1, 2005
6:38 PM
or maybe just a half strength feed once every 2 or 3 weeks?
To which I replied:

I fed all my plants and there are lots of them [HYPERLINK@www.puppygal.com] whenever I have the time and energy. On the average I would say every 2 weeks, regular strength.

A friend who has a nursery keeps telling me to feed the potted plants weekly, but I have so much to do I usually don't get around to it. He also advises me to feed more often if I'm having to water every day because it is just getting washed out of the pot. You should see his blooms!! He has an injector system.

I hope I have been of assistance.

Judy

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Scooterbug,

Thanks so much!!

Judy

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Forgot to say that all my plants grow in the ground except for my sensitive tropicals , like fancy caladiums, some aroids, tillandsia and orchids.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Research: Feeding & Watering Datura

- Since Datura is not a widely grown crop plant, estimations on yield were difficult to locate. The only mention on the topic was in reference to experiments carried out to determine the effect of manure and other nitrogenous fertilizers on the plant. "In 1911 yields from Datura stramonium were reported as increasing from 23 kg. per 100 square meters, on unmanured land to 33 kg. per 100 square meters on land which had been dunged with farmyard manure" (James 1947:230-231).
http://www.siu.edu/~ebl/leaflets/datura.htm

- Sacred datura (Datura wrightii) is a large, sprawling, native perennial that grows throughout the Verde Valley (and across Arizona between 1,000 and 7,000 feet elevation). Common names include: Jimson weed, thorn apple, Indian apple, moon lily, moon flower, angel's trumpet, and tolguacha. In the wild, sacred datura is found on well-drained, sandy soils in arroyos, washes, on roadsides, and other areas that have periodic disturbance. It is often considered a weed. However, it can easily be incorporated into a drought tolerant landscape with great effect.
http://ag.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/hort/byg/archive/sacreddatura.html

- Growing on: Once the seeds sprout and have developed two sets of true leaves, feed with a balanced soluble fertilizer (such as Miracle Gro) at half- strength. Transplant before plants become rootbound. Daturas destined for containers should be placed in any well-drained potting mix which is rich in organic matter. For plants in the ground, ensure that the soil is fertile, rich in humus, and well-drained. Daturas enjoy deep waterings but should not be left with "wet feet". Many daturas are from desert regions and will stand rather dry conditions. However, datura ceratocaula is an exception. It may be grown in shallow water (marshy conditions) but also thrives in regular soil with "normal" watering. In all cases, give daturas full sun and plenty of balanced fertilizer for best flowering. http://www.americanbrugmansia-daturasociety.org/rich_grow_datura.htm

This message was edited Apr 2, 2005 2:49 AM

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Great info, Judy. Thanks so much.

Michele

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thanks for all the info. We have arid conditions here in the summertime, so perhaps the Dats will do well here.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I think it is time to bump this thread up!!!

Judy

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Great info, Judy! Thanks for bumping it up.
:) Donna

Lakeland, FL

Hi All, I am in Lakeland, Fl. I use the "Alfalfa Horse Feed" solution on my Daturas after the get about 10 leaves. I use a weakened solution of this tea and they love it. Recipe: 4 cups of nuggets in a 5 gallon bucket-- add water and cover for 5 to 7 days. Smells ruff until you stir it up and pour off of it. Pour off the top water into another 5 gal. bucket and add water to top. Use this on Dats-- Bruggies etc. I use the slurry at bottom of bucket on all my roses, flowers, lilys etc. and they have gone nuts. Hope this helps. Marilynne. I have my triple posted in Daturas today.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Marilynne. I'm making my first alfalfa tea batch today so will try it when it's ready since the dats should be about that size by the end of the week.
Michele

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the information and for posting your pictures.

Judy

Lakeland, FL

wELCOME YA'ALL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.