would like to plant very low ground cover (not invasive)

Spring, TX(Zone 9b)

under larger plants... Does sweet william do that. I was thinking something kindof tiny and white or pink....Got any ideas? I am in Houston TX

Indianapolis, IN

I like lamium.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Caraboof,
Do you mean a groundcover for shade? Are you talking about an evergreen? Isn't non-invasive ground cover an oxy-moron? :-)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Terrie - ROFL - as one who gardens with ground covers, I count on their invasive non-invasive properties.

Cara, My favs for almost staying put while making larger clumps would be my pink sapponaria aka: soapwort.

another that works well and is truly tiny is one of the creeping sedums. ~Blooms

New Providence, NJ(Zone 6a)

creeping jenny is my favorite. I don't think they are very invasive.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Blooms,
I love that tiny creeping sedum and would love to put some in my two new sidewalk beds but those beds get watered along with my lawn and I'm afraid the sedum would get too much water. How does yours do along those lines?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm successfully growing 3 varieties of cround cover sedums in a shady woodland garden that has moisture retentive soil. They're happy, so I think you'd have luck with them in your frequently watered spot(if it's well drained).

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Great, thanks, Gemini! I am going to a local nursery tomorrow at lunch and I saw some there on my last visit. And welcome! (I don't believe I've seen you post before.) I would love to see pictures of your sedums and the shady woodland garden if you have them. :-)
Terrie

This message was edited Mar 31, 2005 9:44 PM

Spring, TX(Zone 9b)

Gee, guys! Thanks for the responses! Sedum... That sounds like an option. Yes I agree ground cover/invasive is an oxymoron!

Anyone have a specific species for the Houston area????

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Caraboof,
If you post your question in the Texas forum you will probably get a good response!
Terrie

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the warm welcome! I hope to be taking and posting lots of pics this season. Good luck with the sedums, let us know how they do.

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Creeping jenny is a common name for several varieties of lysimachia, some of which are listed as invasive in warmer climes. You do have to be careful, so many of them can get away from you and be impossible to get rid of. Good for you for thinking ahead.

I find Lamium maculatum much better behaved than the rampant Lamium galeobdon. There are two variegated varieties with beautiful pink flowers, 'Anne Greenaway' and 'Beacon Silver'. Note that the latter comes in both white and pink flowering forms; since the leaves are white I find the pink flowering form more striking.

Another plant that will spread far but not put out runners is helichrysum. There are several varieties, one a striking chartreuse ('Limelight') and a variegated one that looks creamy white from distance, very striking. One problem is they will climb close-by taller plants, but a few clips of the scissors, or just a yank or two, takes care of that. Although they are listed as sun lovers, I find they do just fine with a few hours of modest morning sun and bright or dappled shade the remainder of the day.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Ooooh, had to comment. The helichrysum 'Limelight' that jkom recommended is a showstopper. Beautiful!!! I don't know how it would fit in your plans, but if you can work it in there, please do! I'm going to plant a few this May, they're annuals for me. Such lovely, lovely foliage.

Hugs :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.