Beginner with small tent unheated greenhouse ... questions

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Hello All,

I have a small octogon, tent-like, unheated greenhouse.

I got it last year, but this is my first year when it's up and ready to use in early spring.

I am wondering when it would be safe to start using it for seedlings and some Dahlias I have potted up which have started to show growth.

We are starting to have more nice days than freezing cold ones, but our low temperatures still are near or even below freezing frequently.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I'm in Z5 MI ...

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Last year I was very tired of having plants in my house, garage and basement. I bought a little cheap tent type greenhouse from big lots-and I mean really cheap. It was an aluminum tube frame that was basically shelving units with an arch for the roof. The cover is just that easter grass looking plastic stuff that is weaved together. Basically you just through the zip up cover over the aluminum framing. I tossed all my plants out there in full sun with no heat at all. My brugs took off quickly and my ears and bananas did after a couple of weeks when it warmed more. I was not brave enough to starts seeds out there, so I started them inside and moved them out once sprouted. I didn't lose anything.

Yours looks like it is pretty far down there. Can you get an extension cord out to it? If so you might want to run a little space heater during the night. Make sure you get one that shuts off it it flips over so you don't wake to a flaming mess. If you can keep it above 45, you should be good to go.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Well, it is a ways away from the house, but they make long extension cords ..... ;-)

I have a radiant heater that shuts off when tipped. We were using it in the Chicken Coop so the water didn't freeze, but we shouldn't need to do that any more .... at least I hope it doesn't get that cold again until next winter!

I may just wait a few weeks until the nights warm up though. Some day I'll have that dream greenhouse ......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.