Anyone plant brugs?

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

I love them so much and have had a little luck with moonflowers. The brugs seem to start blooming at the end of summer and don't last to long. Wonder if any of you do well with them?
Meem

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I've got about 20 of them. In fact I've just started to pull them out of their winter quarters. I had two that bloomed their fool heads off all last summer and some a few times and yet a few that never had a bud!! I think they are quite 'work intensive' however - always getting mites and needing fertilizer alllllll the time, but once you smell their heavenly fragrance, you just can't toss them. Mine look like dead sticks right now - not a pretty sight!!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Sarv48, what ones bloomed their heads off for you last summer? I grew 3 last summer and I LOVED them, even though they did not start blooming for me until late, late summer. I bought mine off e-bay and am thinking of buying more this spring and would like to know which cultivars I should get for maximum blooming period. (Mine were not wintered over -- had a vacation in early October and they froze while I was away.)

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Brugs. Yep, have them here..right now..have 13...and three more that are small seedlings. Our summer last year was really bad for Brugs. Our Ing. Pink seems to bloom the very best for us..and smells so great..Also Dr. Suess...is a good one....and Jean Pesco...is great.Hoping this year...to have a better summer...this is our Third year...We do bring cuttings inside...Tried..whole tree's....bugs just are too much...So this year...just cuttings. ((((( No bugs this year inside.))))) Take turns spraying them. and switch to different brands...of bug spray...We also have about 8 Datura....and we treat them as annuals...have 8 growing from seeds...doubles and triples.lol...It makes the winter go buy faster...just to play a little in the dirt.

Smiles. Diana ~~~~waiting for spring...~~~~ !

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I will be trading any that are alive for daylilies!!! im tired of messing with them. Im keeping only 2 big ones and the rest will be going BYE BYE~

meems - I wish I could tell you the names of the ones that bloomed - I was a bad 'brug mama' and didn't label them - one was pink and one was yellow!! I am doing much better at labeling now.... Although many I just label with the color as I don't want to try and guess what they are!!

I dug all of mine out of the gardens, put them in pots, put the pots in the barn until all the leaves fell off. Then I cut them way back and brought them in the house and put them in an unused bedroom. No bugs at all this winter...

Now I have them out and leafing out.

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

Sarv, Sounds like a plan. `I am sure going to try your method and hope for the best. Is a Datrua and a Brug different plants? When do you plant outside?
Meems

datura and brugs are totally different. Datura are annuals here- just save the seed and plant again (I have several sprouting already) I take some of my brugs out of storage starting in early March and continue taking a few out each week. When it gets warmer, I stick them outside, but protecting them from the winds. Slowly giving them more and more sun. Last year I just stuck a bunch out and forgot them - they lost all their leaves and looked pitiful, but all came back fine - they are really quite hardy. But NO freezes - that is deadly!! Mine were all planted in the ground inearly May. I have much better luck planting in the ground than in pots. Mine kept falling over in the pots and breaking- good luck!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi all! Glad I stuck my nose in this forum and your thread caught my eye. I've been hanging in the brug forum since being brug-bitten last Nov. Nice see brug tales from more folks in zone5's.

beardtongue - you may want to start frequenting the brugmansia and friends forum. As gardeners are usually so generous with their plants and experience anyway, it was certainly true with the brugs. I ordered my first ones from a mailorder I found but then met the members over there. The 6 I bought have increased to 20+ from cuttings and seeds others shared for postage.

Don't know how long I'll keep doing these but it will be the unique part of this season since I've never seen any in yards around here or know of anyone in my gardenclub that grows them. There's a couple thats done datura which are pretty but don't have the impact of all the brug pics I've seen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.