Corn Gluten as a pre-emergent herbicide.

Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

Can you use corn gluten as a pre-emergent herbicide? I know you can use it as fungicide, but I thought that I read somewhere that you can use it as a herbicide. Is this correct?

Thanks,

SARANAC, NY(Zone 4a)

it is!

Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks PERRYLAWRENCE. Now I have another question. If I use corn gluten in my flowerbeds to control the weeds, will it act as a growth retardant to my existing plants or anything else that I might plant?

Thanks,

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya txflowerlady,

Your existing plants are safe, and will actually benefit from the fertilizer properties of CGM. It is approximately 8-10% N with trace P and K, however if you try to sow seeds of anything where this material has been applied it will affect the germination as CGM is non-selective. We use this stuff to feed the groundcovers on our slopes. Minimal to no weeds and it really feeds the existing plants well. You may be able to pick it up at your locat feed store cheaper than paying the big bucks for the stuff in the fancy bags.

Don

This is a label from a bag purchased at our local feed store.

Thumbnail by drdon
Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

Don,

Thanks for the info and picture, fortunately there is a nearby feed store. Can't wait to try it; I'm also going to give some to one of my daughters who is having a problem with weeds. She had used a non-organic pre-emergent herbicide that didn't work. I'm trying to convince her that organic gardening is the way to go.

Thanks again,

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

From what I understand, which could be wrong- corn meal and corn gluten meal are two different things.
The dirt doctor discusses the uses of corn meal as a fungal control, and corn gluten as a 'weed & feed' in this article (scroll down to the bottom- unless you are into toenail fungus)

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=18

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

It's true!

The Dirt ...doctor.. is correct.

Corn meal, the material used to make cornbread is indeed a marvelous fungicide in certain circumstances. The peptides work to subdue several types of fungal maladies.

CGM, contains the unrefined glutens that contain several types of dipeptides that are allelopathic and rather fierce in their ability to supress or prevent seeds from sprouting.

There is a difference indeed. Well quoted....

Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

sfk

The article was very informative. I will have to get both the corn meal and the corn gluten.

Thanks,

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Don,
Where did you get corn gluten meal?
I called Big Horse Feed and they say they don't carry it and can't order it.
BHF recomended L&M, but I can't find a listing for a L&M in Temecula.
I need help please
Dovey

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

I was searching to find this for you and ran across interesting reading regarding california and organics. I found several items when googling corn gluten california.... you might continue the same for specific towns around you... there is much discussion.

http://www.alternatives2toxics.org/catsoldsite/corn_ucopia.htm

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Dovey,

Peaceful Valley Farm Supply

http://www.groworganic.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.