Now what??

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

This will be the first time I am trying to grow Dats.
I recently got seeds of a "Double White" and have two seedlings about 1 and 2 inches high, respectively. They have been growing indoors. When should I re-pot them, how big a pot should I get, and can both go in the same pot?
Will regular, good quality potting soil be OK to use?

THANKS so very much!!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2005 9:30 PM

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Me,too,berrygirl! I have mine in 4'' peat pots. This is my first year growing them,so i'm waiting with you!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Me, too, berrygirl and golgi. I got my seeds in a trade but don't even know which species. From the PF, it looks like most of the species are treated about the same. Is that right??? If so, I'll just wait for all the answers to berrygirl's questions. Thanks!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

this is just me other may do it different.

one per pot. they will fight for the nutrients.
my dats are in miracle grow potting mix and doing good.

you dont want them to get root bound as they grow a long tuber type thingy.

mine was in a walmart 6 pot that held 1.5 cubic foot of soil. did wonderful and bloomed all season. the first time i transplanted was the one and only time i transplanted it. easier for me.

i have one now that is in a 1 gallon pot seeming to do good . probably needs transplanting by now. when i see rooots is u need to transplant.

some of mine were in the ground. dont know if they will come back from transplanting at the wrong time of the year( moved to new home) but some do come back in the ground every year..

most are treated the same as far as i know.

hope this helps some. Marie

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks MArie. That's much better info than I had this morning.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2005 8:36 PM

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I put my seeds in seed starter, once up I plant them one to a clear plastic cup in MG soil. will stay there untill I plant in garden, in about 4 weeks

Willoughby, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much,Marie!
I'll get some pots ready for the deck!
Gail

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.