New to the site but an old gardener...

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

I just found this site and I love it. Already requested two seeds from the trading lists. I am a 43-year-old married mother of two who gardens despite my MS and neuropathic pain. Even as I lose the ability to do other things, I garden. In the depths of winter, I dream my way through the catalogs and plan what new seeds we'll try and what old favorites to replant. Trays and trays of seedlings have already sprouted and are growing daily, despite the dreary Jersey spring. And, NOW (drumroll...), the wonderful husband has set up a greenhouse!!!

We ordered it from Gardener's Greenhouse in PA. It's 4'x4'x5' and completely accessible from the outside. No worries of narrow doorways, narrow aisle, too high tables, or lips on the door frame that my wheelchair can't manage. Up in less than a day and already housing two dwarf apples trees awaiting their pots and the sunshine. Electric wheelchairs don't like puddles...

We started a worm factory just last week and already have fresh castings awaiting the spring planting. My nine-year-old daughter is in charge of gathering the scraps for the worms and she talks to them as she adds them every day. Scolds her father whenever he throws anything away. Even thrilled with the babies already in evidence. What a great way to recycle trash and kitchen waste. They even like dryer lint!

Looking forward to meeting all of you here! Let's see those green thumbs!
BassetMom

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Welcome to DG BassetMom! I am a long time member here, very married, mother of a 27 year old son and living in our first owned home that we bought 5 years ago. This place is a fixer upper but we love it and as time goes by we are getting it more and more to our liking. Have 6 and a half acres of which over a half acre is ponds. We both love to raise koi fish and waterlilies as well as all the other garden plants that will survive here in the high desert country. This summer will be a little scary for us because of the lack of snowfall and rain these past 7 years of drought. The entire NW is in a very bad drought situation this year. We raise a few sheep of a new breed to the US and lots of dogs outside and one little 3 pound poodle as my house dog due to allergies.

I am fighting spinal stenosis, fibromyalgia, chronic lyme disease, and osteoarthritis. The osteo is my worst enemy as my cartilage is breaking down and I have had both knees replaced (at the same time 3 years ago) and will have a hip replacement two weeks from today.

Our DS moved home a couple of years ago to help out around here due to my problems and also he wanted to start a business. He is doing some with the business but he has been a joy to have around again plus he loves to cook so I don't have to figure out what to have every day of the week anymore. That is a real plus to me. :)

Been married to the same guy for over 30 years now and we still have fun together so I guess he is a keeper. He likes to weed my flower beds when he has the time which makes him even more of a keeper even though he sometimes can't tell the difference between my flowers and the weeds but he is at least learning which of my flowers ARE weeds. lol

We have been collecting windows and lexan panels for a couple of years now and hope to figure out a greenhouse by next spring. We will have to put all the windows on the ground and move them around till we get a good pattern and then figure out how to hook it all together like a jigsaw puzzle. It might be very interesting to do. Kinda scary too. lol But an inexpensive way to get to my dream of owning a larger greenhouse. A friend's hubby replaces windows so we are getting the best of what he takes out for our use. :)

We are worm lovers here. I save my coffee grounds all winter so they can have a good spring treat. They love the stuff and the filters too. My worms though are in my gardens. :)

Welcome aboard and I will be seeing you around the "garden".

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Welcome BM. I was gone all day yesterday so I didn't see your post. I hope you post often and keep us posted on all your activities. Be sure to use the other forums too.

I am a married(42 years to the same wonderful man) mother of 5 and grandmother of 9 and great grandmother of 1. I have osteo arthritis but my biggest problem is the fibromyalgia. I work every Friday and Saturday at a local family owned cafe' as a prepcook and dishwasher. Those 2 days leave me pretty well tuckered out. I do well to get up and off to church on Sundays. I do have meds to help with the stiffness and pain and they also seem to give me the energy kick I need.

GOD bless and keep all of you.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2005 3:41 PM

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

welcome welcome welcome! you won't find a nicer more accepting more knowledgeable group of people than here :>)
~toby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.