Iris leaf spot

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's been raining like crazy this year and I've got horrible case of leaf spot all over the yard. I got some information about how to treat it but it's horrible fungicides that my nursery doesn't even carry. I'm cutting off leaves like crazy with sterilized clippers. Anyone have ideas?

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I read on an orchid site about spraying the leaves with an amber colored mouthwash (like Listerine) to prevent the spotting. Thought I'd try it this year on a few irises .... but that's still a month or two away here.

Neil

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks, I hope it works! I want to get all of the ideas I can before I go for the chemicals. I've got too much of an investment in Iris to lose them. And plus that I love them!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

A friend once mentioned the possibility that a strong chamomile tea sprayed on healthy leaves may discourage fungal leaf spot. You might try the tea spray on clumps you've cleaned all the spotted leaves (or parts of leaves) out of. Add a drop or two of dish detergent to the tea to act as a sticker. I would guess it would have to be reapplied every couple of weeks and after every rain.

Let us know if it seems to be helping.

Laurie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks laurie, I will certainly try the dish soap and tea - it can't hurt. In the meantime, I'm cutting off leaves. It's pretty widespread. I can't believe I let it get so out of hand.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.