Please help what are these things?

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Sorry I have no digital camera, I'll do my best to describe what I see....

On my lawn in the back yard, I have spent sunflower shells, safflower seeds and sunflower hearts from feeding birds. I now see a whole bunch of flying bugs--they look like skinny honey bees but they aren't yellow, about 1/2 inch long, in the front they resemble wasps, but with only 2 wings, the wings are short.

They are hovering over my lawn in the area where the seeds are. Can anyone give me a clue as to what they might be? I don't know if they are friend or foe.

Thanks,

Maureen

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

On looking closer these look like small black wasps. I also noticed they are flying over muddy areas, we just had a few days of rain. There are small holes in the soil where they are, and I wonder if they are the wasps that make mud nests and if I should be concerned, although I didn't see any nests.

O well, guess I'll see :)

Hancock, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Maureen,
I love your name! :)
I don't think they are mud wasps, or "mud daubers". They are quite like what you describe, but mud wasps build their nests (long tubes of mud & saliva) on houses, or facia boards, or where windows and doors meet the siding. If you really want to know, most every county in the country has an Extension Service affiliated with the land grant University of the State. I'm not sure what Missouri's land grant university is, but the phone number is in your phonebook. Or, you can go on Google and insert "Missouri land grant university". If the County Agent can't tell you what they are, he or she can surely find someone who will. I'm located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in Houghton County and am the Office Manager for our county's Extension Service. When clients come to me (and they do) for information about such things, if the Agent doesn't know, I take a digital picture and send it to the Entomology Department at Michigan State University. He gets back to me within the day. Good luck, I'd be interested in knowing what they are too!
Maureen

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi Maureen;
(thanks, You have a great name too :)

I think you're right, they aren't mud wasps. I am now seening alot of what looks like small anthills around the small holes. I've noticed these bugs go into the holes as well.

My sister suggested they may be termites!! I am going to look termites and see what they look like and if any of them fly, and read the thread titled "Ants" here to see how to get rid of them quickly without harsh pesticides, if that's possible.

Thanks,

Maureen

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

I doubt they are termites.

Termites only fly once a year in a big swarm like ants. They also have 4 equal sized wings.

I think they are probably some form of solitary wasp.

Several of these make underground burrows to raise their families. The adults are vegetarian; but, they sting insects and other caterpillars and fly them back to their burrows to feed their larvae. They can sting people; but, usually will not do so unless provoked.

Some shiny blue black ones like to make their burrows in the sand between the pavers in my back yard. I also have them in my garden. It's fun to watch them dig burrows and hunt their prey. Generally they are considered beneficial insects.

Erik

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Erik (eje) said:

>>Termites only fly once a year in a big swarm like ants. They also have 4 equal sized wings.

>>I think they are probably some form of solitary wasp.

Thanks so much for letting me know that! My hair stood on end when I heard the word termites. My bugs definately have only 2 wings.

I think you are right about the wasps. They don't seem to hang around on any foliage and if they are eating the ants, more power to them :)

I'm leaving the wasps alone, however if anyone has any advice on big black ants (outside) I'd love to hear it.

Maureen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.