Need a new vine for my sun room...HELP!

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

I have a very large sun room (16 x26) with a glass roof. I should just make a greenhouse out of it.

At this moment, I have a massive kangaroo vine growing up the glass walls over the glass roof (16' tall) and all of it inside! This vine is very old and needs to be repotted. I want something new....perhaps with a blooming time.

I am a vine lover....and would like to try something (perennial) that I can't grow outside in my zone.

Any tried and true suggestions? .........or any suggestions at all?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

How about a Bougainvillea?

http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/bougainvillea.html

Thumbnail by RikerBear
Mesilla Park, NM

Hoya's are vining plants, i have some and they have not bloomed yet (in two years) this will be the third year, but, I have them outside year round. The Hoya Forum has some really nice pictures of the flowers and plants, sites, etc.. and also on the plants database here on Dave's. Great choices.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I could recommend individiual plants, but they are all a matter of preference. So, what I would suggest is going to Kartuz and Logees greenhouse(both are online nurseries) and I would browse their vine lists. These two companies have some of the more choice and rare vines, compared to most other nurseries. Many of the listings have descriptions and pictures.

You will definitely find something in one of those two companies' vine lists. Probably a lot more than one! lol...

I'd definitely go with the requirements: tropical, bloomer, and fragrant!
-T

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

Riker Bear (I have seen your name elsewhere but can't recall what it is right now),

Is Bougainvillea the one with thorns...? I have never seen one in real life but I think someone told me they have thorns or spikes...or is it Mandevillea? I would love one but without the danger of thorns or spikes.....

Gourd,
I have a beautiful Hoya...but I just can't keep a hoya without fighting mealy bugs all the time. I have to isolate mine and treat it almost daily....too much work.

T,
I will take a look at your suggested sites ......I know I would love something with beauty, fragrance and evergreen.....

Thanks all for your input!

Bell

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Well they do indeed have thorns, but not jump out at ya make ya bleed type thorns....no worse than most roses.
But I'm sure you'll find something that suites your needs and wants in no time. :-)

Not sure where you might have seen my name (handle)....I'm all over the forums here and at assorted other garden sites on the Web.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Meant to add the pic with the thorns showing................

Thumbnail by RikerBear

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.