I'm not sure what "zone" to go by...

Howard, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi, I am relatively new to gardening and am not sure what zone (around 6) I am officially in. something tells me that our zone is very 'persnickity' since the weather is just that here in the mountains and valleys. I live in Howard (25 miles outside of State College, PA). What does 6a and 6b differentiate between and am I in one or the other? I would be very happy to chat with anyone in the area about planting times and such. I planted a garden last year which did fabulously with relatively little effort put in by me. This year I have decided to plant seeds and only just sowed them (in BioDomes with a heat mat) on Sunday. I have never hardened off a seedling, for instance, and am mortified at the thought of killing the poor things off whilst attempting to 'harden' them. Sounds so tough love-ish!!

Anyway...any help or advice from those in the area (or otherwise) is wholeheartedly appreciated. Thank you for this website,

Melissa

Prospect Park, PA(Zone 7a)

Ha, ha, I'm in a weird zone, too. I am in a teeny pocket of a warmer zone than if I drove 15 minutes west or north, due to my proximity to the Delaware River.

Don't worry about hardening them off being mean. Think of it like sending your kids away to college. They get to experience life without pampering for a while and charge too much on their credit card and stay out too late and get a bad grade or two and it makes them ready to settle down and grow up and become productive citizens. : )

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

Me too! I am in 7 (no idea of A or B really) but I have always thought I was in zone 6 - a pain in the neck really!

Razzie you are about 15 minutes from me!

Happily I have a gazebo to harden off my plants under.

Heather

Edited because my brain types faster than my fingers -- and doesn't spell nearly as well. LOL!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2005 3:09 PM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Actually the USDA zones mean little to a vegetable grower. They are great guidelines for perennials because they are based on low winter temps. Your best bet for veggies is (1) to look at local last frost dates and (2) look at what times and varieties local market growers are using.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.