Mixed blessing

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

We got our first rain today.(not snow) The recently sheetrocked ceiling in the back house was dripping around the wood-stove chimney. Checked the attic and found major leaks. Have 3 buckets in the attic now, 1/2 gal per hour. I guess the winter freezing pushed flashing out of place. If you are buying a house, look at new! Old houses have charm (read problems) Will try to get somebody to fix it if rain stops. No, I'm not getting on the roof. In the mean time, check the buckets every hour and hope it stops raining. It's not like I have nothing else to do, like sleep. The roof is 45 degrees and 3rd story. Give me a few bourbons and duct tape. Well, nah. I could just as well die later than sooner.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I should hope so.
At the least tie a rope to a truck axle and throw it over the roof - this makes good safety tied to you. don't laugh my husband once dismantled a brick chimney that was both unused and leaking using the rope safety trick.

Was a beautiful/original slate roof and we had extra slate shingles in the cellarway for patching so it still is.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Frankay, what a dilemma! Keep emptying buckets and passing open windows...

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Might need a sump pump for your attic!

(Zone 7a)

This message was edited Sep 2, 2005 1:26 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.