early lettuces

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Here are a few of the early lettuce starts I set out in the garden on Feb. 23, under a heavy floating row cover. They haven't grown much but I am hoping they will take off as it gets warmer.
Varieties:
Rouge Grenoublouse
Butterking
Tom Thumb
Formidana
Rouge D'Hiver
Dynamo cabbages, (not visible in this shot.)
I love fresh lettuce so much, even though there are quality lettuces available at the store. They cost and they have been handled and shipped from far away.

Thumbnail by roseone33
SE GA, GA(Zone 8a)

Great looking lettuce. I love those fresh salads right from the garden.

Get a copy of the Cooks Garden catalog and order some of their mixes. They have tons and tons of things to choose from.

They have a variety of lettuce as well as other really wonderful salad greens.

I love a variety of lettuce as well, but when you add in the mesclun, cress, endive, radicchio, and arugula. Now that's a salad.

Good Gardening!

Aubrey

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Hi Aubrey, Thanks for the info. I have an old Cook's garden catalog here and some year or two old lettuce and mesclun mixes. Love them too. But I usually sow them too thickly and my harvest tends to be spindly with rot mixed in. Need to give that another try. Last year I started seeds ahead and transplanted as you see in the picture. I'm very happy with those sweet crunchy butter heads. I'll have to try with the mesclun and mixes again and maybe mix the seed with sand to get a healthy bed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.