vemicomposting?

Willingboro, NJ(Zone 7a)

Ok, so here is the question.

My husband and I collect worms from around the property every year and put them in the garden. Is this bad to do? Should we only be adding them to the compost?? I read elsewhere that they can carry some diseases.

Thanks,

I guess I was almost doing it, but didn't know it!!!
LOLLOL

Forgive my ignorance please.

Maureen

Cary, NC(Zone 7a)

Hello Maureen,

I do the same thing as I find them, some worms are viral and parasitic vectors but not earthworms. It would be very unusual. If you have the space a small vermiculture bin can be purchased from Gardener's Supply, I have one and it lowers my use of the garbage disposal in a big way. I'm trying to be more ecosensitive.

BTW, your seeds and tomato plants are ready, actually your seeds were sent last week but the plants will be ready this week for shipping as the weather here is in the 70s and it should be warmer for you as well. I'll send them to you in peet pots so that you can keep them in the window till it's warm.

Peter

Willingboro, NJ(Zone 7a)

WOW!

Thanks for the advise, I will look into getting a bin. Do you have any idea of the shipping costs? I will send you a check today. I will be out of town until Friday, so don't ship them to be delivered any sooner. I would hate for those babies to be left out in the cold!!!

Peter, thank you so much for your generosity and advise!
I planted the Ernesto and Rinaldo seeds I told you about this morning, wish me luck!! Also I will send you the story with payment.

Have a wonderful day! Still cold and raining here :(

Maureen

Eustis, FL(Zone 9a)

Maureen....I made my worm bin out of a Rubbermaid storage bin. I found instructions online. Been working just great! My worms have been at it for about two months now. I ordered worms from online, as the kind I got at my local bait shop (labeled "red wigglers" which is the type to get) didn't work at all. They seem to be happy worms!

Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

You don't need any special box to grow worms. Any plastic or wood container. Red wrigglers (eisenia Fetida) are the correct worms to use. This strain of worm needs lots of rotting matter, eating one half their weight per day of garbage. Your bin should have one square foot of surface per pound of garbage per week and the bedding should be no more than a foot deep. whatever you use for a bin should have a row of 1/2 to 3/4 inch holes drilled in it with the holes spaced about 6" apart. Drill one row about 3" up from the bottom and a second row near the top. This will provide oxygen to the bedding, which the worms require to survive. I usually drill a couple of holes
in the bottom of the box if using plastic. Plastic bins tend to sweat causing excessive moisture in the bedding so you need the holes for drainage. Wooden boxes do not have this problem.
If you have other specific questions about your worm bin I will try and answer them.
George

Willingboro, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thank you George!!!

All advise is needed LOL. I plan on starting one right away! Going to HD to buy a plastic bin. Any specific place to buy worms online?

Thanks,

Maureen

Willingboro, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks Chrissy! I can't wait to start!!!

Maureen

Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

Maureen
For red worms try www.wormman.com. I think this business is in N.J.
George

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.