Baseball fans

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

The boys of summer are coming back soon! Any baseball fans here?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Yup! Watched my first Spring Training game on Saturday.....oh how I love BaseBall!
Favorite Teams:
Mariners
Angels
Cubs
Redsox

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Woo woo woo, me too on both accounts. Watched the Cardinals play the Mets on Sunday, a sound for sore ears indeed!

Favorite Teams:
Cardinals
Indians
Dodgers

I already got tickets to see the Cardinals and Red Sox this year, couldn't get opening day tickets this year because this is the last opening day for the old Busch Stadium and they went like wildfire. It will be the first opening day I don't attend in 10 years. Oh well, I got tickets for the day after though, so I'll live.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I didn;t get opening day either....some idiot decide it was to be an afternoon game Mid week :-(
Oh well................

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I'm born again, there's new grass on the field. . .
Go Tigers!

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Man, there just aint nothing like baseball opening up and going to the ballpark. That same old smell of hotdogs and excitement in the air! Nothing compares. The only thing that comes close is being at home with a baseball game on the tv audio, the doors and windows open, attic fan on, drawing in a waft of smoke off the bbq grill.

Riker.. after I wrote that first statement, I went out to Ebay and bought opening day tickets, I couldn't stand it anymore. So I'll go to the home opener AND the day after. I think I can handle that.

Sylvi74... Fernando Vina use to play for St Louis, now he's with the TIgers. I really enjoyed watching him play, he's so anxious at the plate. He made games really fun. I see he's on a 60 day dl though, think he's been on the DL more than not since he left St Louis.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

PTHTHTHTHTHTHTH!!!!!! (raspberry noise.... LOL)
Enjoy Kathy :-)

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

haha, if it helps any... the tickets are standing room only. :)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

RikerBear,
Mighty Minnesota will be out to give your Mariners fits next week!
Nice to be from a lowly small market ball club. 2 world series & numerous division champs in less than 20 years. WOW.
Look at all the famous players we have had:
Kirby Puckett
Kent Herbek
Tony Oliva
Paul Moliter
Bert Byleven
Rod Carew
to name a few, and of course the great Harmon Killebrew.
I lived in Minneapolis when he played. we went to night games a couple hours early just to see him hit batting practice. Would wager on how many would go over the scoreboard.
Now we have Johann & Brad & Joe pitching for us. A few super young guys at the plate.
Maybe world series this year.
Bernie

Kennewick, WA(Zone 6b)

Love The Mariners!!!!
This is about the only thing that my husband and I can agree on.
(football season is war at our house)

Rikerbear
Do you go to many games? We try to make it over the pass once a year just to see a game.
I love to watch Jamie Moyer pitch!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

We try and get to at least 4 or 5 games......am sure gonna miss my Edgar :-(
It was so odd watching a spring training game on Saturday, and only seeing a couple familiar faces in the line-up.

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I'm gonna miss Edgar too, but Edgar Renteria.. who left the Cardinals. for the Red Sox after last year. It will be interesting to see what he does. His batting average isn't so hot in spring training, but then thats spring training. I also will be keeping an eye on Randy Johnson with the Yanks, should be interesting to see how he does in the American League.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Randy was in the American league for years while with the Mariners......I'm sure gonna be watching to see if his temper tantrums get him into hotter water with the Yankees fans thanit did here in Seattle, and than in Arizona. Spoiled brat :-)

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I think he's just as bratty as he ever was, just older and not as good. All they have to do is get him rattled and he's at a loss.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

True enough......
At least he finally cut his hair :-)

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Yeah, for a long time he looked like he needed to be dipped.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

LOL Bad dog, Bad!

Kennewick, WA(Zone 6b)

The ones I don't miss are Jr. & A Rod. Talk about brats!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

True! I have no room for EGO maniacs. I understand the need for strong self confidence, but pleeeeeease!
Makes me smile every time I hear how poorly both are doing. :-)

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, we are Angels and Dodgers fans converted to Reds fans now that we are in Cincinnati. We did see the Angels and Cubs play in Phoenix earlier this month. A lot of fun!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Gotta love the Cubbies, no matter what. :-)

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I don't love anybody that throws a 90MPH fastball at a players head, Cubs are not on my "to love" list. I use to think it was the rivalry that sparked that stuff with the Cardinals, but they do it to other clubs as well.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Point taken. :-)

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

I tried Rikerbear, I tried REALLY hard not to say anything. REALLY hard... hahahahaha I even backspaced and erased things 3 times. LOL

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

LOL I have a lot of posts like those.....the backspace key is my friend. :-)

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Ah, B-ball. I will mention my lifelong love/hate affair with the Phillies. Born and bred on them. Now my son suffers right along with me. Got my tickets for my first game but have to settle for April as disabled seats in the new stadium are few and far between after season tickets go. Not worth $100 for four tickets to sit out in center field.

I do miss the old Vet Stadium... saw my very first game there... got hit with a foul ball there... won a trip to DisneyWorld there... first date with hubby there... oh, baseball, right....

Go, Phils!

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Hey, Art Garfunkel's favorite team is the Phillies, does that help? :)

This is the last season for our stadium. Out with the new, in with the new. Tickets just keep getting more and more expensive. Will take lots of pictures this year for memories.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I like it but don't watch a lot. Something I do want to do this year is go see a few of the Columbus Clippers games. They are our Triple A team here in town run by the NY Yankees.

Favorite Teams

Indians
Reds

Coshocton, OH(Zone 6a)

love listening to baseball on the radio when working in garden. i like watching the red sox/yankees series, just never know what is going to happen.

favorite teams

indians
pirates

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I was telling one of my sons that the only good thing about March Madness is that means baseball is only a week or so away. The Atlanta Braves is America's Team and mine also.

My grandson played on a traveling team out of Columbus Ga. last year as a 13 year old. They played mostly in Ga FL and AL but played against teams from every where. They played in a World Series in Panama City FL and finished 6 out of 60 teams. The team that put them out and won the championship they had beat earlier in another tournament. Some of his feats were a near perfect game only hitting a batter that prevented it. He followed that up with a 1 hitter and a 2 hitter. Three games he gave up 3 hits. He didn't lose a game all season until the last tournament and was leading 4-0 after four innings and a rain storm came up and after over an hour wait he went back to the mound and pitched one more inning of shutout ball but the next inning he had lost the zip on the fast ball and he ended up losing the game. Still I was so proud of him.
The high school coach here told us that he was going to pitch him as a 9th grader next year on the high school team. The high school here won the State Championship last year. Of course he said that he would only pitch him against weak teams but who knows. All of the other high school teams here have tried to talk his dad in to transferring to their schools. He pitched last night in the first game of this season and struck out 8 in 4 innings and only pitched 4 innings. He did hit a batter and gave up one bloop hit to center.

Here he is showing the form that has all of us wondering could he make it to the pros.

Edited to say a good paw paw bragging on you is a must to make it to the majors. lol
Sorry everyone if you found this to be boring. I would love to hear of others doing good.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2005 8:39 PM

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
Kennewick, WA(Zone 6b)

I did not find it boring at all!
Sounds to me like you have a very special grandson!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Nope not boring at all and I love the added pic.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

All this talk of baseball I had to stop and get me a new hat for this season. My other one was getting rather nasty so I tossed it last year. Go Tribe!

This message was edited Mar 31, 2005 2:07 AM

Thumbnail by Howie
Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Sounds like your boy has real talent!

Fenton, MO(Zone 5b)

Howie.. love the hat! I dare anyone to look at that Indian and not smile themselves. I drove up to Cleveland in the fall of 2004 to see Simon and Garfunkel at Gund Arena. My hotel was in downtown Cleveland, so I walked to Jacobs Field to look about. They were not giving tours, so I just got to go into their shop. I want to go sometime to see a game up there, the only other stadium I've been in besides Busch, is the Astrodome in Houston.

This is a pic of "my" boy Albert.

Thumbnail by IsThisHeaven
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Georgiaredclay, the Braves may indeed be YOUR team, but I live in America too, and trust me they are not MY team. :-)
Good luck with your grandson's career. I have a nephew who is looking very promising too. Sophomore in HS he has been scouted and is now considering a couple offers for dbl A ball.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Great pic Kathy. I've never went to a game. I just think the price of tickets are getting way out of control. I would like to go to one at Jacobs Field sometime though but I don't think I could ever be a regular.

You know come to think of it I always thought the Indians were Americas team.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I didn't mean to infer that they were for everyone. I was using the slogan that they use when they sign on their tv broadcast. We try to make a few games each year and had a post on here where we were on national tv a few years back.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/108586/
RikerBear that is great about your nephew. Sure hope it works out for him. Keep us posted on his progress.
Thanks all for the comments on my grandson.

Kathy that Albert is some ball player. The bad thing about being so good is it's almost like everyteam is a training camp for the yankees. You get a good player and have to wonder how long before the yankee's get out the billfold. They do have good teams and Joe used to be a brave and managed the braves so I sure don't hate the yankees. Just seems that the teams with the money can always come up with good teams. That doesn't mean they are always champions but it does sort of give them an opportunity to have a better chance to play for it.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh I knew you were teasin us......just had to dig back atcha.
I will let you know about the nephew as things progress. I really want him to go to college, but he is seeing stars right now so who knows what will happen.
He reminds me so much of Ivan Rodriguez (Pudge)....fast, compact, and a dead on arm.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

We don't have any kids but our best friends have 3 and I'm really hoping they like sports. It would be so fun to go and watch them play. They are as close as we will get to our own kids and so cute I must add.

I hope your nephew chooses college and then sports. It's always best to have a good back up plan.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.