Tree removal cause of flooding?

Mount Pleasant, SC(Zone 8b)

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me with this. A very large sweet gum tree was recently removed from my neighbor's yard, in an area that borders my backyard. The stump was ground down to about six inched below ground level and covered with dirt and a garden bed. Since the tree removal, we have a problem with water in the backyard. A couple of hours of rain and it's flooded for a day or two. This never happened when the tree was there (other than from a hurricane or tropical storm). Is it possible that removing the tree caused the problem? Could the tree have been absorbing (or "drinking up") the water? I know it may sound weird, but it just seems so strange that it started happening right after the tree was cut down. Has anybody else experienced anything like this?
Thanks.

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, the actual removal may be a small part of it, but I would bet when they put in that new garden bed there they changed the grade of the lot. If they raised the dirt even a little that would make any areas around it a "low spot".

Do you get along with these neighbors? If so maybe you could talk them into doing a French drain or something along the side that borders your property. -Christie

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

The tree wouldn't transpire unless it's in leaf and growing, and even then it wouldn't move more than a few dozen gallons per day. They might have compacted the soil with heavy equipment and reduced percolation. If they did block the surface drainage, that's illegal and you can force them to fix it or pay you for a flowage easement. But you probably will need to prove it with a survey. Regrading is one approach, tiling is another, and filling your own yard to elevate it sufficiently to drain is a third.

Guy S.

Mount Pleasant, SC(Zone 8b)

Thanks... I'm thinking the idea about the soil being compacted by heavy equipment is the most likely culprit. I appreciate the input!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.