shade annual, easy to start from seed?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have a row of spider lilies which disappear in the summer and then come up again and bloom in the fall. What I need is something I can start from seed that I can grow around them. It's not good to dig up spider lillies by accident as it disturbs them and they don't bloom for a year or 2, so I can't buy impatiens seedlings and interplant them with the spider lilies. I could, however, sprinkle seeds among them and let the annuals find their own room.

Greenback, TN

coleus!

You know, after I posted this question, I thought about coleus but didn't know if they are easy to start from seed outside. Do you think I could just sprinkle the seed and cover them to whatever depth recommended on the package and they'd do OK? We have cool weather here in the summers and sprouting seeds outdoors is not easy. But I can't start them inside and then transplant them outside among the spider lilies without disturbing the spider lilies.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Torenia!

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

If you can grow coleus from seed to maturity in one season, then you can also grow impatiens from seed to manurity. The problem with direct-sowing both IMHO is that they take too long to grow if direct sowed.

I think you are paying too much attention (fear) to the possible damage of the spider lilies. Why not mark them with small plant markers in early spring. Then inter-plant the impatiens BETWEEN the plants. You can then remove the plant markers.

I usually grow my impatiens in 72-celled flats. These small plugs are very small (only 1.5" deep) and you can just make a small plug/thin hole in the ground an drop the plug into the hole.

Still space your impatiens plugs every 12" or so to avoid problems with crowding. although they look small and sparse when just planted, they will soon fill in.

It takes impatiens about 4-5 weeks to outgrow a 72-celled plug flat, so if you sow now, they should be able to go into the ground very early may, and will bloom June onwards.

Just an idea.

Thanks Nathalyn, I will try it.
Kd, unfortunately I lost the leaves off some of the spider lilies in a forced transplant. So I'm not sure exactly where they are in the row. However, you can bet I'll mark them this fall after they bloom and be able to interplant them with impatiens next year. Thanks for your help, everyone.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Betty, I grow reseeding impatiens that dwarf my big hostas and bloom until frost. If I have any seeds left, I will send you some. I normally just sprinkle them in the fall while collecting but I'm sure you could sprinkle now.

Brenda

Southern, NH(Zone 5b)

I'm a big pansy fan. I can't wait to see if I have any volunteers from last year

Thumbnail by ownedbycats
Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Wood,
With our warm climes, impatiens direct sown from seed would pop up and be blooming in no time. At least mine do.

Thanks plantnutz and berrygirl. Maybe I will try the impatiens, too. But wouldn't I have to pull them up before the spider lillies bloom or they will be lost in the impatiens?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.