sterilizing soil-Help!

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

I had found on one of the forums, how to sterilize soil in the microwave but I can't find it.
I'll post this question in a few places. I'm starting some annuals and veggies in the new greenhouse my hubby built for me. I,m sure with all I,m planting, I'll need more soil than I already have. I have some jiffy mix, but I,m going to run out before I,m done.Does anyone know how to sterilize soil in the microwave?

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

This is probably not the best forum for this type of question.

I'd recommend only posting your question in one forum rather than posting it in several places. Most folks don't want to see the same question in a variety of forums. If you pick one forum and that's not the best place, folks will usually point you in another direction - OR - you'll get your answer (regardless of which one forum you post it in).

Here's a link to the Colorado State Cooperative Extension's instructions for sterilizing soil...
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Soil/sterile.htm

Good luck.

Woonsocket, RI(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the information.

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

I was just reading in that forum...actually had microwaved some soil myself. Hope this is what you were looking for.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/484537/

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Just dont do it without wetting it down first really good. The smoke after the fire goes out is really stinky and takes a long time to get the smell out of your microwave. Yes laugh all you want, I speak from personal experience with peat pots. LOL

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

lmao Dravencat! I was lucky...nuked the soil BEFORE I read the warnings....I didn't nuke that much...just enough for a couple of small containers...maybe 2 liquid quart sized bowls.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL, DH was hoping I had ruinded the nuke machine, he hates the turntable because it always pops off the little ring and wont turn.

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

OT (LOL mine does the exact same thing!! Chalk that up to another household expense...sheesh......never ending LOL but a must have....especially with teenagers!)

Thanks Smiln32! I bookmarked that site. I'm very new to sterilizing soil...never even thought about it before I came to DG. Glad to have all this helpful info for a newbie like me. Thanks!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2005 9:49 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.