Earthworms??

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello container gardeners!

Is there any benefit to adding earthworms to the soil in containers? I'm thinking that they may help keep the soil healthy.
Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I add red worms to some of my larger patio pots.....in my mind it helps keep the soil fresher, and adds small amounts of worm castings to the mix.
Don't know that it helps, but it certainly hasn;t hurt anything. :-)

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Erick, I've been adding worm castings to my all of my plants for about three years now. As a result, there seem to be plenty of worms in the pots. I top dress with compost so there's plenty of food source and the plants continue to thrive. I haven't experienced decline in any of the plants that have lots of worms in the pots. I have red wrigglers like RikerBear.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I studied worms with my kindergartners last week. (Aren't you jealous? LOL!) One book showed a science fair project with three potted plants - one with no worms, one with dead worms (!), one with live worms. Impressive results. Even the dead worms were beneficial but the live one made he most difference. I don't recall what type of worms they used.

I just use what I (or, more often, my son and daughter) find in the yard. My son carefully determines which of the potted plants needs the most help and carefully places the worm in it. Very important stuff to an eight year old. Our earthworms from our class project went into the school garden. :)

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh how cool! Thanks for sharing that. :-)

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you everyone for your advice!! I will definitely try that this year.

Tom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.