Weird Question?

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

Well, its not weird to me, beacuse I'm new, but it might be to you all! I am trying to plan out all of my containers, they're scattered all over right now! It's a real big mess. Anyway, I was wondering, how would one blue wave petunia, and three Whirlybird Nasturtiums (14-16") grow in a standard 8" terra cotta pot? I'm thinking about hanging one each on each side of my door using those pot latches. Will they all be to crowded root wise and result in poor growth? I'll be adding water crystals as well.

Thanks all,
J

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

If the wave petunia gets enough water and fertilizer, it will run your nasturtium out ie smother it. Nasturtiums are very weak and break easily, and the wave petunia will get very heavy. You might want to re-think just putting one wave petunia in your hanging basket and the nast. in another, perhaps with another slender vine, such as the white potato vine aka Solanum jasminoides, or some other smaller vine.

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

Thanks KayJones,
That's what I needed to know.

J

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I put some white sweet alyssum in a windowbox (on my deck railing) with wave petunias one year, and they held their own for a couple of months. The petunia eventually won, but the alyssum were a pretty addition while the petunias were smaller.

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

These wave petunias sound like ivy! They'll choke everything! Can they be mixed with other things in a hanging basket, say 12" ?

J

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi J (fellow Coloradoan!)

One wave petunia is more than enough for one pot! They're meant to be like a ground cover petunia, and do beautifully in a hanging basket. You wouldn't want to mix anything with them in that size pot.

Judith

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

Thanks Judith!
Say, do Coloradoans ever do roundups? Never saw any posts about them.

I was just looking to provide more color in one pot than purple. Maybe a pansy or two?

J

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Around here, pansies tend to peter out in the heat of summer, so I like to plant them in pots with things I know will eventually take over and fill in. By the time your petunia becomes huge, it will be so lovely that you won't mind not being able to see the pansies or whatever anymore. There's a lot to be said for "succession planting" in containers.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

No roundups in Colorado that I know of. You might try Garden Web's Rocky Mountain forum. Somebody posted that they have a daylily farm east of Denver and it's open to public view when they're all in bloom sometime in July. I didn't go do to work commitments last year, but I'd love to go this year.

Judith

P.S. You could plant a few yellow pansies as the Wave petunia gets started, but stand back, because they will be smothered by the petunias.

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

Thanks Judith,
I'm going to try and find some info on that farm, sounds cool. I think I'll just stick with the wave only, I've never seen tem so I had no idea how much they grow!

J

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.