Assistance please! (What veggies to start in unheated GH now)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I put up my green house yesterday and would like to know what I can set out now. Can I start seeds out there yet, or is it best to germinate inside, then put the babies out?

I'm planning on growing beets, radishes, turnips, onions, cabbage, spinach, lettuce, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, plus my summer veggies which will stay indoors until May.

Can I safely start the beets, radishes, turnips, onions, and brussel sprouts in the unheated greenhouse?

Thumbnail by Sequee
SE GA, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes, you can start seeds for all of the crops you listed in the unheated greenhouse. They will do just fine.

In fact, the ones you list are pretty cold hardy and can be direct sown or transplanted safely even before your last frost date.

Good Gardening!

Aubrey

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Oh, cool! thank you for your quick response. I'd kind of gathered that from my reading, but no one came right out and said so and I get terribly depressed when I kill things!

This is SO exciting!!!

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Sequee, Just be sure to keep ans eye on the temps when the sun comes out. It can get really hot in there really quickly. I'm sure you already knew that.
(Just look at that snow!)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I know NOTHING! LOL! If the outside temp is going to be over, say, 60 degrees, and it's sunny, should I keep the GH unzipped?

SE GA, GA(Zone 8a)

Invest a few $ in an outdoor thermometer. It will give you an idea of what your inside the GH temps are in comparison to the ambient temps outside.

Several people I know also measure the internal / external humidity levels as well with a hydrometer (?) but I have not invested the $ in one of those yet.

Anytime it is sunny and 65 or higher here I flip the end flaps of my hoop houses open.

Remember to keep an eye on your moisture levels in your containers as well. Potting mixes are virtually impossible to re-wet once they dry out.

You might want to consider going to your local Lowes or Home Depot and buying a roll of black fiberglass type window screening or shade screening. Cut a piece of this and attach it to your greenhouse frame on the inside of the plastic on the sunny side. I use binder clips from the office supply for attaching it. That way you can open the plastic and the screening will help with temp / sunlight control as well.

Hope this helps.

Good Gardening!

Aubrey

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Possibly. You need a themometer in there. I have a similar small greenhouse, empty right now, with one door left unzipped. When the sun was out yesterday, my remote thermometer read 119' in there, and that was with one door open! So get yourself a thermometer so you won't cook your plants. :-)

Kennewick, WA(Zone 6b)

I would say yes. If the sun is on the greenhouse, the temp will be much warmer than outside.

Kennewick, WA(Zone 6b)

Boy we all posted about the same time! lol
Have fun with that greenhouse. Makes the winter go by much faster! : )

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I also have an outlet right near the GH and several fans. I imagine that would be helpful on warm days, no?

SE GA, GA(Zone 8a)

It may be helpful to have the fan but you will have to vent the house too in order for the warm air to have someplace to go.

Again, fans will increase dry out of your containers. Just keep an eye on your moisture levels.

Aubrey

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.