What's wrong with my Coleus?

(Zone 7a)

This is a Giant Exhibition Kong Coleus, I believe. They've been this size forever. Am I doing something wrong or do they go through spurts???

Thumbnail by Kim_M
Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Coleus are slow growers, that's my experience with them. These seedlings are a little over a month old. But seems like they take off when the weather warms up. Don't over water them when they are tiny.

Thumbnail by cbrandenburg
(Zone 7a)

Ohhh Ok...Thanks!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

How are those Kongs doing now?
Sidney

(Zone 7a)

Dead! Every last one Dead! Boooo hooo...weeep sigh sigh

AAUUGGHHHHH!
do try again.

(Zone 7a)

No more seeds...weep weep booo hooo

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

How DO you start coleus from seed? I have a mixed seed pack, but I haven't started them yet. Are there any tricks I should know?

(Zone 7a)

Nope..they're very easy to germinate..Just sprinkle them on top of your medium.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Kim, I'm really sorry you lost those plants. I found that water is key to my problems. I have a really hard time *not* watering...and I get myslef into lots of trouble by 'babying' my plants. One thing I did run across that really helped me this past winter was chamomile tea.

I read somewhere here on DG that chamomile tea solution (2 bags to a gallon of warm water, let it sit for a couple of hours before using) helps deter the dreaded 'damp-off' disease. Damp-off will take out an entire shelf of seedlings in one fell swoop. Dont ask me how *I* know! hehehe

I used the tea solution to water ALL my seedlings every time I watered and I didn't lose a single plant to damp-off this season. That's NOT to say that I didn't lose *any* plants...but that's another story. LOL

Don't give up on trying...when it works, growing things from seed (especially Coleus!) the rewards are fantastic!

~julie~

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Julie,

From the sounds of it I think you should drink the tea instead of overwatering the coleus.....Yes?

Hap

LOL, I'm successful, but not all that impressed.
I too could use the tea to drink today.
Sidney
ps this is about the only thing I have seen Kim has failed at propagating.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.