DG Map

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Brenda? Ginny? Sorry can't remember who has the DG map-can you post a pic please? Joelle

What do you mean Joelle? The membership map? Just click on Memberlist and scroll down a bit.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

I thought someone had a map of Canada with push pins for Canadian members. LOL! Just off in my own world. OOoooooopps!

Campbell River, BC(Zone 8a)

It looks like Shanon has one.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Who, me? Nope - I'd sure love to see one though. Hey, maybe we should start one - it could be maintained on somebody's web page or something. Those of us using yahoo/hotmail or their equivalents may have some free web space already. What do you all think?

Oh, I thought she was referring to those little maps like the one you put on the welcome thread.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I just googled the town name - found a postal code - and then entered that into MapQuest. Lots of time on my hands this weekend! ;-)

Now, if we could get a MapQuest map with all of our locations showing on it, instead of just one at a time, that would fit the bill. (fill the bill?)

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Well I could make a Canada map with members with my GPS software but would need all the member locations.
Best would be Long/Lat datums but can do with rough addresses too just takes a little longer (sorry no Postal Code).
Attached a little sample with just me on there :)

Thumbnail by PanamonCreel
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

I don't know what it's supposed to look like but when I googled Vancouver I get latitude 46 16 N and longitude 123 07 W. How does that sound?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

IMCANADIAN and Lilypon are at: Lat: 50.20N, Lon: 105.33W (Canadian Weather Site)

I wondered when you'd come along with your handy dandy map making skills PanamonCreel.

edited to say this is what the link that Shannon provided said:

LATITUDE 50.399600
LONGITUDE -105.53033

This message was edited Mar 27, 2005 7:20 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Oohhh....Milan, that looks great. I had no idea GPS software could do stuff like that. Thanks!

I found a site that will let us find the longitude and latitude from our postal codes, using a "free demo". Here's the link: http://www.zipcodeworld.com/lookup.asp?country=1

My coordinates are apparently:

latitude 45.454090
longitude -75.74691

I should've asked my dad when he was here visiting from Saskatoon 2 yrs ago...he's rarely without his GPS receiver! :-)

Edited to say, guess that longitude is negative after all....looked funny at first. Never mind. Anyone know how to make an embarrassed icon? :-)

This message was edited Mar 27, 2005 8:24 PM

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

here's mine,

Lat-Long:
48° 28' 53" , -123° 20' 13"
48.4814 , -123.3372

but I got it from a different site.
http://www.maporama.com/share/default.asp?SESSIONID={514B6280-6C5E-404F-A103-66FD1AB081F6}

Milan, did you really think we'd jump on your idea like this!!! Way to go.

Linda (MG99)

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Liz the data you gave me is way NW of Vancover (see attached map)

Negative values mean West which is Okay with me. Decimal values is best for me.

Sure thought you folks would jump at this opportunity :)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks for that link, Linda. I tried it, and got virtually the same results as with the other one:

45.4538 , -75.7468

It didn't know yet that Hull is now Gatineau, but half the people in our region don't either so it's ok :-)

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

You folks with datums are entered now :)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Can you shift the names in the east around a bit?

edited to say *Thank you*.......it's amazing what you can do with your program (I saw what you did with the U.S. members)>

This message was edited Mar 27, 2005 7:36 PM

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Negative but if need be I can make a close-up in crowded areas :)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Pam, you don't like me obscuring everyone else? :-) lolol

This is so cool, Milan - thanks a lot for doing it.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Given how many will be in BC and the Eastern provinces that would be nice. :)

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

MG99 how close is your Waypoint on the map? :)

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

I should have known. Seeing that Longview ~ that's Washington. Near Vancouver Washington.
OK, will try again.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

When it's done it would be nice to see the finished maps in a *sticky* thread at the top of the Canadian Forum Milan.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Alright the easter side is done which includes Atlantic Provinces, Quebec and Ontario
The green pins are DG subscribers. Didn't put labels as they overlap too much.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Looks really good......a shame you can't put the members names (but understandable......even in lil old Moose Jaw we have an overlap).

This is cool Milan. Here's the info for me.....and Jeanne.

Lat. 50.017
Long. -125.250

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for this, here are my coordinates
Lat-Long:
53° 31' 19" , -113° 36' 31"
53.5221 , -113.6088

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Okay here is the full Canada DG subscriber Map. I made guesses in regards to locations where I had no Coordinates and will update my map as I get this info from the individuals. Most where relatively easy to find with the Member info just the Precipice Valley of chilko took me awhile to find :)

Wow, that's great. Thanks for all your hard work.

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Here are mine:

Lat - Long

49º 4' 20", -81º 1' 25"
49.0723 , -81.0238

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Cool!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

This is very neat, Milan. Thanks for doing this!!!

I think Pam had a great idea - this would be a perfect sticky thread for the top of our forum.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Sure can do with the sticky, only thing is that I would have to make a new post in the thread with each update but that's okay.

Now some fun facts from the data I've collected for now:
Subscriber furthest North: franalan (N56)
Subscriber furthest South: storybookmum (N42)
Subscriber furthest East: Todd_boland (W052)
Subscriber furthest West: nightowl2 (W125)

Milan

This message was edited Apr 1, 2005 4:47 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Very interesting. That probably equates roughly to the warmest & coldest zones, too. Maybe someone in the YT, NWT or Nunavut will join one day; it'd be neat to hear about the gardens in any of those places.

Hmm, wonder who's at lowest & highest altitude...guess all those on the coasts are at one end of the spectrum, and Ft. St. John and Precipice Valley would be at the other end :-)

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Milan, I am within spitting distance of where you have me on the map you posted. I am on the corner of Buckingham Place, and Buckingham Close. The spot you have me is at the neighbours across the street. I'm really not close to them, but the other neighbours I am... LOL

Linda

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

That GPS stuff is amazing. I wouldn't be surprised to look on the map next, and see us walking around, and our pets too.

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Too bad that I do not have the topographic maps for most areas otherwise i could see who's at the lowest and highest altitude.

Linda, the point shown is according to the coordinates you provided and deviation is most likely due to missing decimal places, nevertheless it's close enough :)

The corner would be approx. N48.48146 W123.33771 your data was N48.4814 W123.3372 which results in a difference of 39 meters (get out the tape measure tomorrow morning :)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Now after looking at that map can you understand why we westerners say that those in the east live *down* east?

Amazing as usual Milan.....Thank You!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Could be an elevation thing too ;-)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Should mention that the *Sticky Threads* were implemented by Dave from a suggestion that Milan gave.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.