Spider Mites

Bethlehem, GA(Zone 7b)

Does anyone know of a product (maybe systemic) that will get rid of spider mites. I believe that I have a plant or two that may have them. I want to treat before they spead to others in the house. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Susan

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Paramount Orchids recommends Neem Oil to control scale and mealy bugs. It would probably control mites as well. Certainly, their plants are free from any insects so the Neem must be good. Try a google search on it to see if Neem will control mites.

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

I've heard good reports on neem oil, except that it takes time to work so you won't get instant gratification. Soap-based spray work very well as well - better than alcohol. As for systemics, I'm not sure. I know that an imidacloprid-based systemics will NOT work on spidermites. It is possible that orthene works, as it seems to work for everything, but I would not recommend it for use on indoor plants.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I've heard that Kelthane works the best for spider mites. I have some but haven't actually used it yet.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Orchids may be sensitive to systematics; the key is to use the least damaging chemical that you can get away with.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I agree. Kelthane is a spray that is supposed to be safe for orchids. I only use systemic insecticides as a last resort.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Ugh, a little off topic but I had to use systematic on some plants this winter. They kept getting mealy bugs. I ended up having to do multiple application and even though it severely burned the plants, those darn mealy bugs are still there!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Doh! I hate mealybugs! I waged war against those little critters a few months ago. I've heard the females can lay large amount of eggs, so just when you think you've got them all, the eggs hatch and the battle begins again.

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

well I don’t have a lot of years of experience with systemics, but nonetheless here are a few pointers.

- make sure the product really is a systemic and not just a stinky powerful pesticide/insecticide
- a systemic+non-systemic is a good combo to use on infestations (kill off a bunch on contact, and then have the systemic take care of it over the long run)
- check the active ingredients/label to make sure it works on the pest you’re trying to control
- think about how the chemical is going to be absorbed into the plant

The last one is critical. For e.g., imidacloprid is an excellent systemic for use against mealy bugs. However, it is usually available in granule or stick form – neither of these is much use on orchids, which tend to be potted in bark and flushed regularly. On the other hand, it is excellent for things like succulents and african violets. (I’ve also had zero success using the stick form.)

Other systemics are often sprayed on or watered in. Based on unscientific experience, I find that applying to the root zone is more effective over the long run. One reason is that traces of the chemical remain in the pot over a longer period of time, Another is that the chemical is taken up into the plant with the water, especially to the parts of the plant in active growth. These also tend to be where many pests concentrate. The flip side of this is that pests on woody/older parts of plants are more difficult to control through systemics – another good argument for using an on-contact killer as well.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I use Safer's Soap for "spot cleaning" and Orthene ( systemic) for the occasional real nasty infestation of Mealies etc. Watering the whole plant, on top of leaves and from below - if one is able to do so, will keep problems at a minimum. I shoot Mealies right out from their spots with a well aimed water stream, and spider mites really don't like to be watered at all. ( the second method doesn't work well with cacti and succulents of course)

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I used Orthene too when I couldn't get rid of things with safers.

They say to use an alchohol spray on mealies but does that make sense? Mealies congregate in the roots.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Some types of mealies congregate in the roots while others feast above ground--foliar mealies vs soil mealies. Different treatments for different types of mealies. For soil mealies, I've read that repotting the plant mixing diatomaceous earth into the soil helps.

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

alcohol really does work on mealies. Qtips and paintbrushes work well as well as a spray - you really don't want to breathe much of that stuff in. Treatment must be repeated regularly to work.

and yes there are root mealies, but if you have orchids in a very loose bark mix, you may have regular mealies in the medium as well.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

We can't get Orthene in Canada...or at least not in Newfoundland. I use alcohol on mealies and scale but it's a constant battle...keeps them in check but does not get rid of the problem. Thankfully I don't have mites or aphids. Paramount Orchids raved about the Neem so I think I'll see if I can track it down....has to be at least as good as alcohol.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Dyna-Gro sells a pure Neem product. I found it quick

http://www.lsorchids.com/store/cart.php?target=category&category_id=248

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

In general Spider mites thrive in dry conditions and dislike high humidity, therefore raising humditiy would be the first step.
AVID is a miticide but is expensive and can be tough to come by.
Todd, check for CYGON systemic (Dimethoate), it is (maybe was by now) the only Systemic still available in Canada last year but I think it was to be off the shelfs by 2006 (I believe). It is effective against mealies, scales and even spider mites but it is not something one wants to apply indoors (odour) and some plants may not like it .
See the link for some other possible options http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05507.html

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

There is a new product out called Floramite , its supposed to work on
the eggs too, i havent tried it , its 240 bucks a quart.
http://rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product142.html

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

I'm a little confused here. Are these plants in the 'house' where humans live or in the greenhouse? If they are in the greenhouse, I'm wondering why no one has recommended spider mite predators (Phytoseiulus persimilis) or others. While I understand the need for synthetics in regard to certain pest challenges, I'm wondering about the wisdom in using Acephate (Orthene) in close proximity to humans without some other alternatives being discussed. A recommendation, when using a poison is a serious matter. I don't know you Bethlehem, but if there are small children, cats or dogs that may (or may not) brush up against, eat, chew on, fall in to, sit on, put their faces in, or otherwise molest these orchids are in contact with a persistent pesticide. The term 'systemic' denotes a particular level of persistence. I don't know if this is important to you, but I thought I might bring an alternative point of view.

Best of luck with thoughtful eradication,
Don

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

In my case they're in the house. Also predators usually fall short of adequately eradicating the problem.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.