Swiss Chard

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I planted rainbow swill chard last year to put in combo baskets, just because I like the look and beautiful colors it has. When I emptied my combo pots I put them on my compost pile and I just found it growing again. I thought it was an annual. I've looked on several sites and can't find out if it's annual or bi annual or perennial. But it's growing beautifuly. Can anyone tell me?

Thanks,

Cathy

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Biennial

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, for me it keeps on growing. I usually pull it out after the third year because the lower leaves have been harvested, and the stem gets woody and elongated. Seed formation just doesn't happen in this climate, which must be the reason the plant doesn't quit.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, I forgot to watch this thread. Seeing the Swill Chard growing was a wonderful surprise.

Cathy

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Here's my swiss chard from last year.
http://www.q7.com/~erasmus/images/garden_2004/garden_in_july/chard_spinach_chives.JPG

I've now thinned out the plants and they're still growing away bespite the slugs and catepillars munching them.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the photo. I love the vibrant colors of the stems on the swiss chard. I have the yellow stem and the beautiful bright red stem.

Cathy

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I've never had much luck with it, can I transplant it if i start it in seedling trays?Thanks,jody

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

That's how I did it, I grew it in starter trays and transplanted it into 4" pots then again into combo pots.

Cathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.