Michigan's state flower - anyone have a picture?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

When I added introductions for the current regional forums (TX, CA and MI) I thought it would be nifty to start a tradition of also including a link to your state's flower in your introduction. If I'm not mistaken, Michigan's is the Sweet Crabapple, Malus coronaria.

But alas, we have no enticing images of this plant in PlantFiles: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/57531/index.html so I'm hoping someone in this forum (perhaps several someone's) will seize the opportunity this spring to round out this entry with some images of the species including closeups of the blooms, buds, bark, leaves, etc. And your comments about the plant are also appreciated ;o)

White lk, MI(Zone 5a)

I'll try to get one. Can't wait to see some blooms!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Here a pix

Thumbnail by paulgrow

Hey Paul - thanks! Is it your own picture? If so, feel free to submit it to the entry in the link above. (if you scroll down the entry, you'll see an area where you can submit it, and it works just like uploading the image to this forum.)

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Done

Thank you very much! I'll see to it that it is released from the queue tomorrow (so watch Monday morning's newsletter for its appearance.)

Any other images out there? If not, I sure hope spring comes soon to your part of the world so y'all can enjoy your flower and share images with the rest of us ;o)

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

From ' Cambridge Encyclopedia', I know Michigan's state bird is the robin; fish,trout; tree,white pine.I wonder if anyone happens to have the pictures to share ?

White lk, MI(Zone 5a)

Here is a photo I took last summer. They sure do love their worms

Thumbnail by SandyD
Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Hi Terry,
I don't know if these are the same plant with two names but the state flower of Michigan is the apple blossom, pyrus coronaria.

I work for the Legislature here in Lansing, and my source is the Michigan Manual, produced by the Legislative Service Bureau.

We also have a state game mammal (white tailed deer), gem (chlorastrolite), reptile (painted turtle), soil (I'm not kidding-the Kalkaska soil series), stone (Petosky), tree (white pine), wildflower (dwarf lake iris), and fossil (mastodon).

Last year, someone suggested a state cookie. They tried to pass a law containing the ingredients! So far, that one hasn't passed. I don't think we need a state cookie!

Sylvi74, I believe Pyrus coronaria is a synonym to Malus coronaria (at least that's how we have it listed in PlantFiles, and it was borne out by other sites and references I checked ;o)

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Oh good! I always get confused when things have more than one name, or get reclassified.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

We have many many crab apple trees on our property, probably not the one's that are the state flower, but they sure are beautiful.

Hope we'll all be seing some blooms soon....

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.