Sambucus canadensis varieties....

Kingston, NH

I'm interested in planting a few varieties of these species. I've been looking at the newer ones
espeically Black Beauty, and I've ordered a Madona variety as well. Any one have experience
with this type of bush, it has so many nice things going for it.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

It's a very popular shrub in Newfoundland. To get the largest leaves the plant can be coppiced every 3-5 years (cut back to the ground). That will keep it at a reasonable size as well. If you want fruit, then coppicing will not really allow that, but you will get huge leaves and very robust growth. Watch for Elderberry Borer Beetle as they have been causing problems here (I don't know if you have them in your area but I expect you do). Sambucus nigra looks nearly identical except the fruit is black rather than red.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

dakota, Here in my zone 5 garden I grow 6 var. Sambucus. I haven't tried coppicing them tho thought about it. They range in age from 10 to 3 years. the 10 year old is a transplanted native variety. The bird love it, so funny to watch the eastern kingbirds fight over the berries in fall.

All are growing very nicely and do require quite a bit of pruning to keep at a manageable size. I don't have either variety that you mention, but don't think you could go wrong with them. DonnaS

Kingston, NH

thanks for the comments! I heard that they can be pruned to the ground,
and then they stay smaller, thanks again

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.