Spontaneous purchase

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I went to Kent's Building Store (our equivalent to Lowe's or Home Depot) and they had 15% off everything in the garden dept. I couldn't resist picking up this Odontocidium Jungle Monarch (aka Colmanara Jungle Monarch). I bought another orchid from there three days ago but will have to wait another week or two before that one opens. In the meantime, this one is lightly fragrant with 10 flowers (buds) on the spike.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Parrish, FL(Zone 9a)

I think I have one of those too. I bought it at either Lowes or Home Depot down here in Florida. I swear the flower looked exactly like that but now all the buds are dead so I'll have to wait until it flowers again in who knows how long :) I had it inside but it started to not look too good so I put it out on the back screened room and took all the other orchids out there too now that its no longer cold down here for them. I got about 20 different orchids. I'll have to take pictures and get them posted in here since I just joined here....

Jason

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Welcome Jason! Good to see another orchidophile on DG. 'Jungle Monarch' is a fairly popular one for sale in stores. It can take as low as 55 F so I guess it doesn't need to be inside for long in your area. I grow mine in a south window so full sun but then our sun is not as intense as yours!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Spontaneous purchases are the best! Live life in the moment.

Parrish, FL(Zone 9a)

Glad to here that one is common cause that is probably what I have then...some of the orchids just said the latin name and nothing else about the "common name"....I'm going to post pics of a few and see what everyone thinks some of them are that are still in bloom....which most of them are actually...

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Jason,
looking forwards to seeing your "stuff"!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here's an updated picture of the Odcdm. Jungle Monarch I bought last week. There are now 10 flowers open.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Very nice purchase!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.