Orchid Sources

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I have only a few orchids. I bought them locally. Are there some good orchid growers to purhase from? Would love some advice. Carol (nancyjean)

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

some good places to look up local orchid sources are aos.org, garden watchdog (right here) and orchidmall. At the AOS website, look for both local growers and the local orchid society. The OS will often have speakers and vendors at their meetings.

If you're looking at online sources, I think there was a thread on that earlier. I can come up with suggestions as well, but tell us what sort of orchids you are looking for.

Parkersburg, WV

Nancyjean,

Check out Carter and Holmes' website (www.carterandholmes.com) from South Carolina, www.orchidsbyhausermann.com from near Chicago, Odom's orchids (you guessed it, www.odomsorchids.com, and some of my favorite sites outta Hawaii www.alohaorchid.com, www.mauiorchids.com, www.haikumauiorchids.com as well as www.carmelaorchids.net

Enjoy adding to your collection!

Pete

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Orchidman, I ordered from Odom's. Absolutely beautiful orchids arrived quickly and in great shape. Nancyjean

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I've bought from tropiflora, machelia's orchids, and .... hmm... I guess all the others have been at local stores or trades. I highly recommend those two companies.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ordering through the vendors listed at the orchidmall.com -
Hoosier Orchid company, J& L Orchids, Andy's Orchids, Odom's, Hauserman, Oak Hill Gardens. If you are in NJ, Waldor Orchids is one of the best to visit and come home with lots of goodies. Also Orchid Art ( at shows, see below) sells beautiful species. And there are many many more.
It is a good idea to subscribe to "Orchids", the magazine of the AOS.
http://aos.org/aos/index.aspx
The monthly magazine is full of interesting information about Orchids, shows etc.
A really good way to buy Orchids is going to Orchid Shows, where you can look and enjoy the orchids and then shop from the numerous vendors. One of the best is the upcoming international Orchid Show in New York, running from the 12. to the 17. April at Rochefeller center. And check out your local Orchid Society.

edited to fix link

This message was edited Apr 11, 2005 1:21 PM

Leesville, SC(Zone 8a)

We have a wonderful source for Orchids in Newberry, SC. Visit http://www.carterandholmes.com and if you ever have a chance to go there in person, they have 18 greenhouses full of orchids. Right now, the Phals are in full bloom and they are awesome. I attended a workshop that they had this past Saturday and learned so much. They will be holding another workshop in May on Orchid culture if you are interested. Details are on their website.

Rhonda

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thank you all for your help. I will certainly check out Newberry and Carter and holmes. Nancyjean

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.