Easter jaunt to Castle Howard

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Well, the Easter holidays are here, and off I went on the Moorsbus again. The weather forecast isn't terribly brilliant for the holiday, but today was supposed to be not too bad - dry anyway.

I started off by going to Helmsley where I handed over my card and came away with two Victorian volumes of folktales. Now, where to for the rest of the day? Whitby? Scarborough? Pickering? Thornton-le-Dale?

Let's see where the buses will take me to. And the first bus that leaves is off to Castle Howard. That'll do! Castle Howard is where the British tv series of "Brideshead Revisited" was filmed. It is a magnificent house, set in beautiful grounds. So, I clambered up on board and away we went.

I have to admit, it wasn't the best of weather. It was overcast for much of the day. But it stayed dry though. It didn't take long for the bus to take us there - about half an hour. I was soon scrambling off the bus again. Now, I have been to Castle Howard before - about two years ago. That time the weather was even worse - we had rain - but I went round the house, so it didn't matter too much.

There is a lot to see at Castle Howard. I was quite happy to skip the tour round the house today and concentrate on the grounds. Rode on the little tractor (it resembles a train with wagons) down to the lakeside, where I had a spot of lunch beside the lake. The cafe goes right up to the lake - I had ducks and swans only a few feet away from me. It had turned out mild - I was able to take my anorak off - first time this year. It was very pleasant there - I could have sat there all day. Reluctantly I got up to explore the grounds.

The grounds have been planted with thousands of daffodils and they were in full bloom. It was a wonderful sight!!! I wandered down to the edge of one of the lakes - a heap of surging frogs croaked away at me - I have never seen so many frogs!

Then I set off to Ray Wood. Vey lovely - planted with a large variety of different shrubs and trees. One of the rhodedendrons was in bloom. I passed a ruined temple (it is going to be recosntructed fairly soon), then a temple that was still standing. Impressive! Then I walked along a wide grassy path bordered by thousands of daffodils. What a shame it wasn't sunnier. On my left side was an avenue of statues. Beyond them, in the distance, were lakes, a bridge, a mausoleum, and a fountain. The landscaping was superb! I took quite a number of photographs, though I could have wished for better weather. Never mind, I can always come back again.

Eventually I wandered back to the house and treated myself to a pot of tea before returning home. Castle Howard's grounds are large - there are still parts that I haven't seen properly - the rose garden and the walled garden in particular. I think they probably look better in the summer months. And those woodland areas will look even better in the autumn. Better book myself another couple of days out here!

http://www.castlehoward.co.uk/metadot/index.pl?id=2503&isa=Category&op=show

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Northerner, I wish you had a video camera. I wish the BBC would hire you to go around and film all the great places you visit and add your inspiring narrative. My dreams are to visit so many of the palces you describe but if I never actually get there, I feel as if I have from reading your posts. Thanks!

Hello Roseone! I'm glad you enjoyed the tour! I was wise to go on my jaunt yesterday - today is cold and rainy - a day for staying at home and the rest of the Bank holiday promises to be similar.

Yes, if you ever come to England, Castle Howard is one of the places to put on your to-do list. I hope to explore those gardens this summer.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Northerner, it's been awhile since I have joined you in one of your jaunts, but when I saw Castle Howard I just homed right in! I am always so impressed by how much you love your country, and how much you appreciate it's beauty. Also how beautifully you write and share it with us who love it from afar.

I think I may have said so before, but my dream has always to spend a few months in England with a personal guide to explore all places connected to the Tudors, especially Elizabeth. Now, just having finished a few books on Richard III, I have added a few places to my itinerary! LOL I am in the process of reading the Steven/Maude debacle, which is leading to the Plantagents and Eleanor of Aquataine. *sigh*. There just won't be enough time to explore it all.

I have discovered though, if I go to GOOGLE and type in the name of the castle or town, I can see pictures (mostly ruins) and read a great deal of local history. My imagination fills in the rest! Since I live in a state where anything over a hundred years old is a historic site, this is quite a treat.
Pati

Hello Pati! I'm gald you enjoy my accounts of my jaunts. You would enjoy my summer holiday jaunt too. Llantwit Major is very old - medieval in fact. Have a look at my summer holiday thread!

Here's a taster.
http://www.llantwit-major.net/2004/history.shtm

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

What a treat!!!! I'll certainly be looking forward to your reports of your trip. Amazing that Cardiff Castle has connections to both Richard III's wife and the start of the Tudors. I'm sure you will be exploring it too.
Pati

Yes, I hope to have a day in Cardiff. I haven't decided yet what I'd like to see.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.