Pot for AVs

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Today I bought a beautiful crystal jug for my seedling. Is this okay for the plants? And a hole is necessary in the bottom? if yes then please tell me how to make a hole in the bottom of crystal pots.
Thanks
kaleem

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I read you can make a hole like this. First you take some molding clay and place it in a circle on the bottom of the pot. Than you place cooking oil in the circle and start to drill a hole in the pot throu the oil. I haven't tried it yet but that was the instructions. Hope it works for you. Might want to try it on something else first. I have a large cup I am going to do it to.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

drainage seems pretty critical for AVs. consider thinking of your crystal jug as a sort of big saucer and finding another pot (with a hole) that fits inside it. that would facilitate bottom watering, which your AV would love.

I haven't tried drilling glass, so I can't advise you there, but I've heard of the method makshi mentioned. good luck!

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

keeping it happy in a pot without drainage can be done, but takes some work. Take a look at the pointers I mentioned in the vermiculite thread.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/493002/

In addition, if the crystal is clear, you can expect to get algae growth.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Makshi ,critterologist
Thank you very much for the tips, I will try this method with my cheaper crystal pots...... then.

Keyring
You link thread is very informative. This will help me in growing AVs plants .
Thank you very much.
Kaleem

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.