Sometimes There Is No Need For Formal Monikers

Northern California, CA

Slightly windblown from our most recent storms, but just your garden variety 'Rainbow Mix' can be found in most nurseries and big box stores, as well as seed packets for about 99cents. Not as exotic as some of the new cultivars, but a big impact of color none the less.

Thumbnail by Happenstance
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh my! Those are beautiful plants. I hope my rainbow mix turns out with something similar...but at the moment I'm not holding my breath. They ALL look alike. I'd love to have that one on the left...the leaf shape is great, not to mention the colors! And the one in the center is very much like one named "The line". I really like that one too. Sorta takes the place of the chartreuse sweet potato.

(Your hens and chicks look fantastic, too!)

~julie~

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

All my Coleus that survived the hurricanes are "no name" now, all the ID tags were lost, but I love them just the same! LOL

I am slowly, but surely, getting the cuttings in pots, along with the lovely ones that MollyMc and GagalinFL brought me from the RU. DG people are the most thoughtful friends in the world!
Pati

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

WOW! Beautiful plants! I , like Julie, only hope that my Rainbow Mix will turn out as pretty. Mine just germinated yesterday..still look like little green specks.Is that a hosta that I'm seeing in the pic? I love hostas, also! But, I'm afraid that I will be trading several of mine off this year.we moved last August and the new yard just doesn't have enough shade :^(
Dee

Northern California, CA

A couple more from the Rainbow Mix group.

Northern California, CA

And another chartreuse one.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Hap...I'd be wonderfully happy if I get any from my Rainbow mix that look as nice as either of these two. I really like the red centers on the chartreuse plant. Very nice...very nice indeed.

~julie~

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Me too, that lime w/red veins is great. Lot of planting tomorrow. will be repotting all of those that I haven't yet. Your's are an inspiration.
Sidney

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Here's the pot full my DD up the road here in Moab grew last summer. They live in the shade of her pine tree. She thinks they were from the Rainbow mix - according to the label on the six pack.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Northern California, CA

And lovely they are too! I think the named ones, especially some of the newer psycho-psychelic ones are so cool....but these common plain Jane varieties are nothing to sneeze at! And the surprise is part of the fun of it.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

happenstance that is a LOVELY combo in the first pix.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Very pretty. I've never met a coleus I didn't like. Can't wait to get started. I took a few more cuttings of what I already have. I'm as addicted to taking cuttings as I am to buying plants. I think a lot of us are. LOL!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Brugie...I have to agree with you about being addicted to taking cuttings. I take *far* more cuttings than I'll ever need, too. LOL Part of it is so I'll have something to trade...the other part...uh...well...I think it might be that's it's become a habit.

Blooms...I especially like the one with the creamy center in your photo. That one would fit in anywhere and add extra 'light' to a darker area. I think I have one or two small cuttings of something similar and I'm really anxious to get outside where they 'grow' to town.

~julie~

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Sneaking in here, I think the rainbow mix has allot of great ones. I love not know knowing what you will get. (sneaking back out) l

Northern California, CA

mystic -

I agree on the surprise element......lots of other plants that I want to make sure of what I'm going to get, but these guys are real jokers and always come up with something surprising!

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Happenstance, did any of that gorgeous "no-name" coleus that you had last year survive the winter? And did you ever learn the name? (It was similar to "Christmas something-or-other").

Jean

Northern California, CA

I didn't take any cuttings because we spent a good portion of the winter away and there was no one to take care of them. There will be new ones this year, they are already showing up in the nurseries.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.