Blooming shrub

Harper, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello, we live in zone 8a in Central Tx. My husband wants to plant a shrub that will bloom most of spring and summer out near our RV pad. So our many visitors will have something to enjoy. Does any one have any suggestions as to what to plants. Thanks Txsdar

This message was edited Mar 25, 2005 10:43 AM

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Butterfly Bush comes to mind first off.
Easy to grow, loves neglect, pruner friendly, comes in gorgeous colors, smells heavenly, and birds and butterflies love it.

Marc

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

That was my first thought, too. There are also plenty of roses that will keep blooming, depending on the size you want. The Buddleia are certainly very carefree (I do deadhead about once a week since they're such prolific reseeders and I don't want them spreading into the woods) and their appeal to wildlife makes them another great shrub in my book. I also love weigela for the same reasons and they don't require the deadheading. But their bloom season is limited. There are variegated and golden- or dark-foliaged varieties, though, that will provide color. And their graceful shape is quite lovely.

erie, PA(Zone 5a)

When I was in Texas in the service (Witcha Falls), a lot of homes had honeysuckle. Low maintance, great smelling flowers and long bloom time.You can also get it as a 6-8ft. shrub rather than a vine. Requires little if any pruning and the birds love the fall berries.

Harper, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for all suggestions, will report to Boss. Txsdar

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.