surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Yes it's up and running again our R&R or rodent relocation program.Our front garden has 5 live oak trees.We really love these trees but they bring a huge and active population of bushy tailed rodents with them.They must taste everything I plant and even if it does not appeal to them they ruin a high percentage of what I plant.We have tried everything that people have told us to do but they are just too smart.The only thing that seems to be working for us is the R&R.We have a havea heart trap and the bait is chucky peanut butter on a cookie.We have been trapping them at a rate of one a day since planting season began.This does not get rid of all of them but it keeps the population down.Any other suggestion?

A rodent update.The garden was rodent free yesterday.I looked up into the trees and saw a huge owl.He did his work the night before (my husband heard him) and stayed all day to rest.Too bad he flew off in the evening.I sure hope he remembers that this is a good place for a meal and comes back soon.I'll be rodent free for a while,I hope.

Shalimar, FL(Zone 8a)

Is it squirrels you mean or some other rodent?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

BTW, my dad read somewhere that you have to take squirrels 5 miles away (as the crow flies, so drive a little further than that), or they will find their way back. He "relocates" the squirrels that rob his peanut butter feeder.... says he doesn't mind if they have a little snack, but they tend to leave nothing for his favorite woodpeckers!

Thanks for the info about the 5 mile trip.The only thing that I can put in my feeders is safflower seeds.The bushy tail rodents don't seem to like them.They have broken so many feeders.There is no thing as sharing with them.When we lived in South Florida we had rodents who shared my papaya mangos and bananas but since they left most of it for me I didn't try to get rid of them and we lived together for 15 years.Not in the house.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.