Does anybody know what this is?

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I planted Alabama Sunset last year along with some others that obviously didn't get as big. I LOVE the coleus in the middle with the red and green shades and scalloped edges. I'd love to get some this year but they came in a mixture and I didn't save cuttings.

I am SO happy to see this forum!

Thumbnail by revclaus
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

It might be "Curly Petite at http://www.hilltop-gardens.com/coleus.html
They have very reasonable prices on 55 different coleus and 100% positive rating on the Garden Watchdog.
Sidney

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

revclaus...Welcome to the Coleus forum! I hope we see a lot more post from you in the near future.

That is a positively gorgeous combination planter. And I certainly agree with you on that one in the center. It's outstanding in many ways.

~julie~

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Check this site for ID and sources: http://www.coleusfinder.org/pictures.php?lang=en

I found the label tucked away in my garden file, it's Floridasun Rose. I went to the website to see what else they had and found another beauty! It's Floridasun Jade. They've copyright protected the photos, but you can see it at http://www.robrick.com/plants/plant_list.asp#C. They're a wholesaler, so I have to try to remember which garden center I bought them from. LOL

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

A nice looking coleus. Love the colors. 1 gal pots???? Did yours come in one?

No, it came in a 4 inch pot. The Alabama Sunset with which it was competing came in a four pack and I planted all four. The Florida Sun one was only one plant. This year I'll put four in one pot instead of the Alabama Sunset (which was beautiful, but there aren't enough lifetimes to grow all the coleus I want to! LOL

I love this planting, but the above photo is deceptive. This year I want to have a container of just the Florida Sun plants. Here's a pic of the Alabama Sunset planting where the Florida Sun appears as a tiny part of the lower arrangement. I've also got Glennis coming next month and can't wait to see what it looks like. I know it'll be stunning!

When I was a teenager my parents built a house and had indoor planter boxes built in. The one I remember the most was in the kitchen. Mom had the sink put in a corner, and the triangle behind the sink where there were large windows was filled with coleus! There was also a big planter box in the living room between the fireplace and a wall above the firewood storage box, and it was filled with coleus. There was a lot of light in that house. That's where my love for coleus took root :-). But now the array of varieties is HUGE, and I'm a happy camper. Reminds me of happy childhood times.

Thumbnail by revclaus
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Both pictures are pretty. I'm soooo ready to get out and plant coleus in the ground and pots. Come on warm weather!!

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Oooooo....I don't think a person can go wrong with that Alabama Sunset! It's a wonderfully hardy (sturdy) plant and never fails to give a great presentation of itself. I bought ONE plant last year. This year I probably have 25-30 new plants I've made from cuttings over the winter. I hope I'll always have it in my garden.

BTW Great shot!

~julie~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.