iris bed

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Hi, I planted iris for the first time this fall. When do we usually get blooms around here? I don't even think I see any new growth on mine yet. I only have a couple bulbs showing tips. Too cold this spring!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

oh goodness Im thinking its may when they start to bloom-i see them poking through(BARELY) in the garden!! I see all kinds of stuff ready to SPRING!

East Lansing, MI(Zone 5a)

The time that Iris blooms depends on the type of Iris you haveand your location.In Lansing, Iris reticulata blooms very early with the crocus. Bearded and Siberian Iris normally bloom late May till early June. Japenese Iris usually bloom after the Siberian Iris.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Mine are bearded, so late May. Okay, thanks for the info!

Hobart, IN(Zone 5a)

I planted a couple of new varieties last fall and they have yet to break ground. I hope they are still there, I don't even remember where I planted them but I keep looking. My old irises are up a couple of inches.

Branka: One never knows when a squirrel might come by & eat newly planted Iris .Squirrels love to nibble on newly planted bulbs and rhizomes. When I plant any thing new I usually sprinkle cayenne or black pepper liberally around the planting to repel squirrels from digging them up.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

So if the squirrels take a bite out of the rhizome, is it all over? I went out this morning and the little buggers had "tasted" several of mine, but left them in the ground. I peppered liberally, but I am afraid it may be too late.

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

I just went out and brushed a little snow off of my few irises this afternoon, and they are sprouting up despite the balnket.

Just tiny little green nubs now, but things look promising.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

I want to get some Irises in this year. I didn't realize that Fall was the best time to plant them.

I'd love to see some cultivar names and pictures of one's that do well in Michigan.

sylvi74: If you have shoots still visible then the iris will make a come back, I are pretty tough perennials if you can get them established. They do especially well in full sun and well drained soil.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks Frankford. I just checked on them and I think most of them will make it. The rhizomes were nice and big and the squirrels only took little bites!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.