Wanted: Help??? Organic Fertizer recipes

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

I have these ingredients and I have no clue if I should put them together or use separately or just put a couple of them together.
With the following things my DH bought yesterday for me, can you shed some light on my next step?

I thought I would get some more potting soil and add to some of these so it won't be so potent. Here are the things he got:

I have decided to go the organic way this year and need your help! Yesterday evening my DH took me to
the local feed & seed store and bought me the following....lol

1.cow manure

2.worm castings

3.agricultural lime stone

4.and last but not least mushroom compost

I thought I was going to concoct a recipe from these things I've bought but I am clueless on how
what and with? lol help?

Julie

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

It depends a bit on what you are trying to do .. are you trying to amend an existing flower bed, creating potting soil for large outdoor planters, or preparre a seed starting mixture ?

Cow manure is a good source of fertilizer but best if composted. if not composted, then it should be used sparingly. a thin layer worked into the top 1-2" of soil is recommended.

worm castings are also a good source of fertilizer. again use relatively sparingly. best for heavy feeders which also require good water retention

lime stone is only required if you are trying to raise pH of your soil. What is your soil pH and which plants are you planning ?
overliming can lead to more problems than no liming at all

mushroom compost is a good soil amendment, but it usually contain high salts. Should be used sparingly and plants which are not salt sensitive.

Offhand, you can mix cow manure, worm castings and a bit (not too much) mushroom compost into your regular garden soil (blend it) or into potting soil to create potting mixes. use about 20% combined of above (say 5% manure/10% worm castings/5 mushroom%) by volume and mix it with the existing soil thoroughly. If mixing potting soil make sure that the potting soil you are buying does not contain fertilizer already (a lot of them do).

I think the first step is determining what you are trying to do ?

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Well, first thank you for the great advice! I'll be using it for my tomatoe plants and also for my potted plants. I need to add some soil to some of my pots or just repot altogether which is probably what I'll do I think. The potting soil I plan to get to mix all this up with to tone it down somewhat will not contain any fertilizer.

This is awesome advice thank you so much!!!

Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.