Dwarf Iris '______'?

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Hello Iris mavens! I have this lovely little guy who has multiplied faithfully every year since I got him (as a gift from a friend.....yanked up out of the soil and handed over! Is there anything better than that?). The leaves are between 6 and 8" tall and the flower is very large. Any ideas of a cultivar or is it just a 'something'? Thanks for checking in!

Karen :~D

Thumbnail by Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

.and now the close up........

Thumbnail by Kachinagirl
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

What a vibrant color to celebrate spring in your neck of the woods!
Laurie--can you place him?

Enjoy your little dwarfs!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Nope, I haven't a clue. It might just be an errant seedling from her friend's garden. When I saw her location and before I clicked on the larger pic, I figured it'd be a PCI. But no, it's definitely bearded.

Laurie

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Awesome color! My feeesia are up with them now, neat!
K

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

Oooooooo Laurie, any idea what this is? I know it's not a very good picture, but it bloomed a couple of weeks ago, before it turned way cold again. It was here when we moved in and doesn't look to have increased over the last two years.

Thumbnail by sharvis
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Sharvis,

My best guess on that one is Iris reticulata. Does it grow from bulbs or from rhizomes? Retics are bulbous.

Laurie

Gee, I don't know; I haven't dug it up to see what it's growing from. The leaves are different from the other irises that I'm familiar with...thinner and more strappy. I think you may be right though cause it blooms at about the same time as the reticulata would. Your guesses are always pretty darn good 8=} I always learn so much from you! Thanks.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

It is an iris reticulata. I have several bunches of them blooming this year.

Thank you too irisluvr0252. Now when someone asks, I can answer with some authority....hehehe. And maybe I'll even throw in the bit about the bulb vs. rhizome to impress 8=}

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I went to the local nursery here last year and they had them potted and blooming in February. I bought 6 pots, gave away 2 and planted 4 after they were finished blooming. 3 of the 4 bunches are up with 2 of them blooming. One of my favorite because they are so early to bloom. I have tried to remember to order other colors in the fall, but they sell out so darn fast. My mom has 2 blooming that are a violet red color, so unusual!

deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.