bes vine

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

Is black eyed susan vine a climber or can it trail from a hanging basket?
-Mara

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hmm. It's a vine- not sure if it would hang or not. You could try it though- it would be really pretty.

Hi Mara, I have never had them hang or trail from the basket they are climber's.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

All the species thunbergia are climbers, but the thunbergia alata is one that is more of a scrambler, than a climber, so it tends to be more prostrate in form. This lends them to be flexible enough to be a climber or a form perfect for hanging baskets.

They look absolutely lovely in a handing basket. I have my other thunbergia species climbing up poles, but I always plant my alatas in hanging baskets. It is my favorite way to display them. They need to be untwined from the basket wires every now and then, but are easy to keep trained.

They also tolerate some shade better than any of the other thunbergias, so go perfectly in a hanging basket, hung on a tree limb.

Of the alatas, the thunbergia alata lutea is my very favorite...

-T

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

Oh good. I had bought thunbergia alata seeds - white ones and Sunrise Surprise - thinking that they would trail. Now that I've planted them and they started to germinate, I started to wonder. Do they handle direct sun pretty well too?
Thanks so much!
-Mara

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, but you'll have to water more, and when you water more, you drain the nutrients more, which makes you have to fertilize more! lol....
-T

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.