Beneficial Insects

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Let's say you buy these insects whether they are lady bugs, lacewings whatever. What's to say the birds won't eat your new "predators"? Viola, the world's most expensive bird food! Am I just dreaming up new problems?

Specifically, I had a stinkbug problem on my tomatoes last year and those guys aren't going to stand a chance this year if I can help it. That is why I started reading about controlling pests. Didn't find anything that would eat a stinkbug though!

I also cross posted to Vegetable Gardening.

-Kim

Hi Kim,
Your are right to a point. Particularly with ladybugs, they disperse readily, leaving your garden for greener pastures. One way to help them stay around is to make sure the garden is moist when you release them. Also, don't let them go all at once, and let them go at night. They don't fly away at night.
I did this last year, and I do think it helped. I had lots of baby ladybug larvae in my yard.

Regarding predators eating them, probably some do, but that would be true in nature anyway. If you don't put them all in one spot, they have a better chance.

If you think stinkbugs are bad, try black vine weevils! They are the devil!
Melissa

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh great! Thanks Melissa, now I have to worry about those! LOL -I hope. I figured there would be natural predators. Can I let the lady bugs go in stages in the early evening/night?

May I ask, what does baby ladybug larvae look like?

-Kim

Yes, you can let the lady bugs go in stages, but it's better to space them out over a few days or even a week. Just keep the ones who are still 'prisoners' in the refrigerator and they'll be fine. And don't forget to spray your garden down a bit before releasing them. They need water right away and you don't want them to have to leave to find it.

Baby ladybugs don't look at all like the parents. They look like little black and orange rubber aligators!
http://www.celticbug.com/Legends/Larvae.jpg I think they are charming and I'm always a little thrilled when I find them.

I hope you never have to worry about weevils. They are the devil. No predators, grubs eat roots and girdle the plant, adults come out at night and defoliate plants. There is no known reason for their existance and no organic control that I know of besides hand picking them at night and using beneficial nematodes in the soil for the grubs. I have 3/4 acre. Hand picking them at night isn't working for me. As for nematodes, I used them last year and was hopeful. I think I must have done something wrong, as one of my azaleas is showing signs of weevil nibbling.
I don't know what else you are doing for pest control, but remember that if you use beneficial insects, it takes awhile for the system of prey/predator to come into balance. If you also use insectical soaps or anything else to kill aphids, the bugs won't have anything to eat. Then they will leave.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

They have natural products at http://www.gardensalive.com and $25 free! My order cam fast! I only had to pay shipping...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.