I Used to be D. tatula, but I got amnesia and......

Northern California, CA

....when I woke up someone had changed my name. (it's now Datura stramonium which I don't think is quite as cute as D. tatula!) I'm still very pretty when I flower in the late afternoon and evening. I do grow very large and the big shears usually come out when I'm over 4' tall and/or 6' in diameter.

Thumbnail by Happenstance
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

She is pretty. Do you have trouble with a lot of volunteers?

Northern California, CA

Hiya Brugie.....

Even with the bazillion seeds this Dat puts on, I only had one volunteer last year. A tip on volunteers......pull themwhile you have the chance because once they get that root down it's a real fight to get them out without a real battle.

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

Man I grew that 1 last year and even used it as a focal point in a ring in a center garden. I was thinking it would flower as mmuch and as big as D. Inoxia with those 5-6 inch flowers. boy was I let down when I got huge bushes with beautiful but such tiny flowers.
Does anyone know of any other Datura's that flower as profusely and big as D. Inoxia? I need to know so I can make my beds look like I want. I hate big bushe's with such minimal flowering, well not hate, just hated what turned out due to my lack or=f research and knowledge.
PLEASE ADVISE!
Nice pics Happen;)

Thumbnail by JLD_II
Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

So much bush and so little flower:(. These were taken in early spring and did get a little bit higher flower to bush ratio but nothing compared to D. Inoxia.

So I ask once again incase anyone missed my request above.
CAN ANYONE RECOMEND A DATURA THAT FLOWERS AS BIG AND FULL AS D. INOXIA? PLEASE HELP ME FIND 1.

Thumbnail by JLD_II
Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Geez, where have i been? These are gorgeous!!!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful pix HAP. Truly one of my favorites (wish it smelled better.)

Gratiot, WI(Zone 5b)

MSJen, I'm with you. Where have I been that I didn't know of all these other ones?

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

See Richard, you're learning already... when you get your degree in Daturas we will expect some exceptional pictures of all your plants.

Judy

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

D. wrightii do have large blooms with a lavender halo or edge to them, they make a stunning display similar to the inoxia's.
~Laurrie

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Candy, the correct scientific name for your Datura is Datura stramonium var tatula: http://www.americanbrugmansia-daturasociety.org/datura_tatula.htm

Northern California, CA

LOL Clare......yeah I know. :-) When I first entered this plant into the then PDB, it went in as Datura tatula. A couple of months ago I went looking for it in the PlantFiles only to discover it's name had been changed and name you are linking to is listed as a synonym.

I stopped growing this after last year because it is just too HUGE. Takes up about a 4' x 4' area even if it is kept pruned. I have not had a problem with it self sowing, because I harvested all the pods before the spewed all over.

Ah, LOL! I have Dr. Preissel's book, which is wonderful, and I recopied all the genus and species names listed in his book here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/501087/ Unfortunately, there is still a lot of confusion about the names, but Dr. Preissel is one the world's authorities on Daturas.

I grew it only one year also and stopped growing it for the same reason that you did. It has a lovely fragrance, but I prefer the single white Datura inoxia or Datura wrightii.

Laurrie, that picture is stunning!

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL I try not to grow that one too, but each year it self sows, Usually I can tell by the little seedlings which are which, and yank those, now this year since the flood, I have seedlings here there and everywhere, and I think I will just leave them to see what happens. I have morning glories, 4 oclocks, etc. popping up EVERYWHERE, that flood water really washed things around here.

Happen.........you always take such gorgeous photos!!!

Clare - Thanks, I am hoping I have more of these seedlings this year compared to the tatula's. LOL

Laurrie, if you cut off the seedpods when they start to form, you will get more flowers on your plants, and then you won't have to worry about new plants coming up the following year. I don't grow Morning Glories or Mirabilis jalapa anymore for the very same reason -- too many seeds that self-sow. It's funny that you should mention Four O'Clocks because I think the fragrance of Four O'Clocks is exactly like Datura stramonium var tatula! They are both very nice and come alive in the early evening. I love the lavender edge to the D. wrightii that you have.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

lol lol most seeds don't have a chance in this hard clay ground of ours unless it's truly an invasive weed. The only volunteer Datura seedling I had was in a flower pot full of MiracleGro soil!!

Judy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.