Transplanting virginia creeper

Germantown, OH(Zone 6a)

Anyone tried to transplant virginia creeper? Does it transplant well?

I have tons in my yard, except where I want it... LOL

Thanks in advance

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've never tried to intentionally propagate VC...it seems to spring up everywhere anyway.

I've seen tons of seedlings...I guess if one was going to try and move VC, I'd try with a seedling.

Be careful. as some folks get a rash similar to poison ivy when handling the stuff..

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I have it on the side of my house (east) I want it on the South side but - they have never yet to take no matter what time of year I have tried to move them.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

the darn stuff has volunteered all over my perennial bed and I don't even have any on the property... make that DIDN'T have any. Must say it made pretty threads of red leaves amongst the other plants. I keep meaning to dig it out.

My son sez it's a major invasive weed and if I want to transplant some to the wooden back fence not to worry ? that any amount of root I get will do the trick and any amount I leave behind will grow another plant. heehee
~Blooms

Germantown, OH(Zone 6a)

It's a common vine around here but I don't think it is considered invasive. But maybe I should verify that before I intentionally propagate it. It can't be as bad as the english ivy that I am trying to get rid of though.... and no one to blame but myself for that mistake. I just hope the vc will continue to stabalize the slope as well as the english ivy has done.

Thanks everyone for the comments...

Jean

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I have grown VA creeper from cuttings. I don't remember what time of year I took the cuttings, though.

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Here is some info from Ohio state. http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedguide/listall.asp
It is native but considered an agressive weed in your area. It's not on Ohio's formal invasive list that I could find. Far better choice than a non-native ivy in my opinion.
If you decide to propagate it, take cuttings right after it has leafed out. Shove them in dirt and keep moist. They will take off in no time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.