Are Allamanda and yellow mandevilla the same thing?

Ormond Beach, FL(Zone 9a)

Are Allamanda and yellow mandevilla they same thing? I'm looking for something yellow, any ideas?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I think allamanda and mandevilla are the same. You can find them in yellow, pink, lavender, that I know of. Check the Plant Files.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

The yellow mandevilla is completely different from the yellow allamanda.
yellow mandevilla splendens is a twining vine, shiny green leaves, medium sized yellow trumpet flowers in a nice lemony yellow. http://mgonline.com/mandevillayellow01.jpg
yellow allamanda cathartica is a vining shrub(sometimes called "brown bud allamanda"), does not twine usually(mine never have), has golden yellow large trumpet flowers. The stems are "stiffer" than the mandevilla. http://komaluyo.com/images/yellow12.jpg
sometimes the two names are interchanged and this causes confusion.

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a mandevilla vine, yellow blossoms. Thought allamanda was a flowering bush.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9a)

Allamanda Cathartica is mostly a woody upright plant,likes wet areas..good in zone 9-11,If kept well can produce large yellow flowers most ot the season....Mandevilla tender woody vine pretty yellow blooms good climber. both good for florida

Ormond Beach, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you all for the info. I will be searching for the yellow mandevilla since I wanted something to cover a lattice.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

sorry bassetts, did not mean to confuse you. but I got curious myself and went to plant files. When I did a search on mandevilla, the 4th entry said: yellow mandevilla, wild allamanda. In any case, this is not a plant I know first hand but when I've seen it at the store, I've seen both names for the same plant.

I tried growing Alice Dupont (pink) mandeville a few years back and I couldn't keep it alive but it seems everybody else does wonderfully with it. Go figure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.