Amaryllis Picotee Centerpiece

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, everybody--I just wanted to post a pic of our Amaryllis Picotee blooms. We got these from 'Easy to Grow Bulbs' at the end of season sale, and I am really happy with the way they turned out.

We will use them for the centerpiece for the Easter dinner table...will cover the base with some moss and place easter eggs around... :-)

Thumbnail by tabasco

This is a picture of the amaryllis bulbs when first planted.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

you have some very beautiful flowers . mine died back already. now im thinking about looking for sales. thanks

Closeup of the Picotee. Apparently the Picotee in general commerce is progeny of the Papilio
http://www.bulbsociety.com/ABOUT_IBS/Publications/HERBERTIA/vol53/PapilioProgeny.html

I am not familiar with hybridizing hippeastrum, but it looks like it could be fun...

Thumbnail by tabasco

Here's a picture of my little 'amaryllis farm' under lights in the laundry room... some that bloomed around Christmas have leaves and are on shelves above going dormant (I guess). Others are upstairs in our sunniest window...

Jerry, thanks for you nice comment...if you want some inexpensive Amaryllis bulbs--try Smith & Hawken in the Rookwood shopping center. They had really big ones for $2 each last week...mine are planted and growing nicely. I think 'Mary Lou', and 'Christmas Gift' (a white one), Dancing Queen, Sydney...varieties that I can recall at S & H.

Or come to the Ohio River Valley RU April 23 and you can have a couple of mine! Would love to see you there! :-) t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

tobasco yes i'm planning on coming to the trade but not to trade just would like to meet other people who love to garden

This is a 'Scarlet Baby' amaryllis cultivar, also known as 'Gracilis Dulcinea', from 'Easy to Grow Bulbs'. Very pretty delicate stems and blossoms--not the big clunky red kind so often seen at holiday time in the big box stores.... (This (poor) picture doesn't do it justice.)

I found this article from the International Bulb Society archives about hippeastrum hybridizing history kind of interesting. https://www10.secure-website.net/~bulbsoc/ABOUT_IBS/Publications/HERBERTIA/vol52/HybridizingHippeastrums.html

It makes me want to try it... have fun. t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Hades, SC(Zone 8b)

Gorgeous!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I adore both of these!

Edited to add: Tabasco, I bought a hibiscus thru the hib. liner coop called "black velvet". It is red with a dark eye. It would be so neat to have amaryllis Scarlet Baby right next to it! Two different plants with the same coloration. I guess I better bookmark Easy To Grow Bulbs.

Perhaps you know this. My buddy gave me a bulb yesterday and it has one green leaf about 8" tall. I plan to plant inground. Is it going to bloom this year (it was a X/mas gift to her so it already bloomed indoors).

This message was edited Mar 24, 2005 10:54 AM

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

You have a much better selection of Amaryllis in the US than here in the UK especially named varieties. That's a stunning planting arrangement you have there. Happy Easter!

You know, Voss, I don't know...I'm doing everything inside and learning by trial and error...most of mine are on their second bloom at least since I started this project in November...I'll be interested to find out what you do.

I imagine if it is warm enough outside and they are the right variety they will bloom...especially since their normal bloom time is Spring. Just give them some sun, good fertilizer and good drainage. Someone suggested a tablespoon of Osmocote mixed with the planting soil in the bottom of the hole...

BTW, John Scheepers/VanEngelen are known for Hippeastrum/Amaryllis bulb offerings and have a nice selection online in the summer and fall. I bought some of mine at Brent and Becky's post season sale. And then bought several a couple of weeks ago at Smith & Hawken for $2 each. They are all blooming in some way, shape, or form even though most had bloomed around Christmas, too.

(I always buy marked down bulbs...I like them better that way, and since they bloom and bloom, I really feel like I get my $$$ worth!)

Thanks, Galanthophile, for your nice comment...FYI Veronica Read has a 'national collection' of Hippeastrum/Amaryllis in Harrow and I think she sells bulbs... http://www.veronicareadhippeastrum.com/hhybrid2.htm I use her site to research about the bulbs...

Have a nice weekend.. hippety hop! t.

thanks Tabasco. and I'm with you about the bulbs on sale. I bought a couple at Walmart for $2.50 each and they are about to bloom. But I do have a couple of ebay sites I regularly check out for off season.

having said this, one of my favorite local nurseries has one right now for $15 called lemon-lime. It's gorgeous,the name describes the color. I'm thinking about it, except that when I first started my amaryllis planting scheme I went for all red or red/white. No pink, no orange. Oh well, another silly rule I'm going to have to break. LOL

Voss--I love 'Lemon Lime' but have not purchased it--I'm too cheap! I did find it at Scheepers for $8 which is less than $15, but, still....

http://www.johnscheepers.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Item&_recordnum=9221&_category=Amaryllis:HybridSingle

but, of course, it's not available now. Have to wait until fall for it. I think Easy to Grow had it also... (Don't you think $15 is a lot to ask!?)

Smith & Hawken had a yellowish green called 'Moonlight' http://www.donkihote.com/garden/17293703.asp

although I think I prefer Lemon Lime.

I will want to see pics of your Amaryllis plantings...It would be so fun to be able to plant them outdoors... and BTW, which e-bay (amaryllis) stores do you recommend?

thanks. t.

The first source, i bought from directly and she sells on EBAY also. www.countryroaddaylyliamaryllis.com. I started a thread about her not long ago
The second guy was from Ft Worth, TX. I thought I had saved his name but I didn't; not on EBAY right now.

I definitely think $15 for amaryllis is too much.

I try to post pix later.

Tabasco, here is my $2.50 walmart Amaryllis Double Record. Ain't she fine?

Thumbnail by vossner

Voss- love your Double Record. Your pic is prettier than the one in the catalog! If you haven't already be sure to post in the PlantFiles...we need to build up the Hippeastrum file there, I think. ;-)

Here's a pic of my Dancing Queen ( from Smith & Hawken) with a Picotee...they are prettier in real life than in the pic...

The Country Road Daylily lady sounds very nice on her web site. I will have to bookmark her for the next order.

t.

Thumbnail by tabasco

love them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.