Nightowls Thirty-Three: Spring is here, oh yeah, whoopie!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Okay, technically it's spring, but most of us nightowls wish it were planting time, I'd wager. ;) Nightowls thread thirty two at http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/488471/ had over 200 posts on it, so it was high time to start a new thread! Thought my long-winded post might better be in a new thread, too.

This year I want to get local produce from farmer's market and roadside stands - I can't wait for the season!

Well, Howie got home around 3:00am, I believe. I'm afraid this batch of salsa did not turn out good at all. I made a killer batch of it for that Superbowl Sunday party we had this year, but darned if I could find the recipe today. I know the ingredients, but not all the proportions. Of the four red onions I bought this week, two were just plain nasty inside when I sliced 'em in half, and one was so-so.

The last onion, my bright and shining hope for said salsa, was not moldy, but it was really strong. And, as if AWOL recipe and the onion situation weren't warning enough, the cherry tomatoes I bought weren't sweet. Last time I made it, I used cherry tomatoes because the regular ones we have available are really nasty this time of year. They were sweet and delicious...But this bunch was not. I can't wait until summer, when fresh produce is readily available!

It was just plain nasty stuff. All we could taste was onion. No wait, let me rephrase that: ONION!! Not that I have anything against onions, but when they overpower the delicious sweet mango...Well, both salsas I made went into the garbage after dinner. Man, I really hate wasting food like that! And I certainly would have just enjoyed the mango by itself. The few nibbles I had while cutting it up were joyful, a real symphony in my mouth!

On a plus note , the honeydew melon I bought is fantastic - even better than some I've bought at peak season. And the salmon itself was really tasty. :dancer: I just put some butter-flavored Pam on it along with some kosher salt and a little Italian seasonings and broiled it about 5 minutes each side.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2005 4:16 AM

This thread has 163 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!